🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Manual Hourly Payment
Page options
daphultra
Community Member

Manual Hourly Payment

I would like to know how manual hourly payments work. I read the section on it and it seems that if my client intended on paying me that it would show by now. But I'm not sure if I just do not understand how payment works. Would it clearly state if he has put up the money for hours billed on July 12th? I have been working for him since the beginning of July and I don't feel comfortable doing anymore work until I at least receive one payment. The work diary doesn't seem to indicate any payment but it's not clear.
6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Daphne J wrote:
But I'm not sure if I just do not understand how payment works. Would it clearly state if he has put up the money for hours billed on July 12th? I have been working for him since the beginning of July and I don't feel comfortable doing anymore work until I at least receive one payment. The work diary doesn't seem to indicate any payment but it's not clear.

Here is how payment for hourly contracts works

Is that the contract that shows on your profile and started on the 12th of July? If that's the case, the client wasn't billed on the 12th of July, the contract started on the 12th, so the client would have been charged for the hours worked that week on the 19th, and you should see the money for that week under Reports > Pending. The money should be available to withdraw on Wednesday the 28th.

That's how the weekly billing cycle works.

• Week 1 – You log time using the Upwork Desktop App (Time Tracker)
  • Week 2 – Your time is invoiced to your client on Monday and they have until Friday to review your work
  • Week 3 – Earnings become available on the following Wednesday

BillingCycle

(source)

Hi! The contract started on July 7th and I manually inputted hours on July 12th for the first week of July 7th. Do you know when I would see a payment made? I can't afford to use anymore of my time on this assignment, with no payment. Becaus even though I could only bill 5 hours, it took me probably double that.

Daphne J wrote:
Hi! The contract started on July 7th and I manually inputted hours on July 12th for the first week of July 7th. 

There is only one contract showing on your profile and that contract started on the 12th and has 5 hours logged. Did you look at the links in my post? Did you check Reports > Pending?

Daphne J wrote:
Do you know when I would see a payment made? 

Did you actually look at the links in my reply to you? 

Daphne J wrote:
Becaus even though I could only bill 5 hours, it took me probably double that.

Why did you use manual time anyway? Why not properly track your hours so your payment is protected? And what about any hours you worked since the 12th? 

"Where is my money?""Where is my money?"

tlbp
Community Member

Daphne J wrote:
Hi! The contract started on July 7th and I manually inputted hours on July 12th for the first week of July 7th. Do you know when I would see a payment made? I can't afford to use anymore of my time on this assignment, with no payment. Becaus even though I could only bill 5 hours, it took me probably double that.

Your profile is showing that  you have earned $25 (so far) on one contract. Is this the contract you are asking about? 
Upwork uses several different reports to track where your earnings are in the process, etc. The overview is the easiest to view to get a quick summary. One money is available you need to access by going to your Settings and selecting Get Paid then following the steps. 

Petra what if I am not doing something on Laptop? Instead I am doing some market research for my client. How I will bill it on Hourly basis on Upwork? And what kind of proof would be required?

Navid Z wrote:

Petra what if I am not doing something on Laptop? Instead I am doing some market research for my client. How I will bill it on Hourly basis on Upwork? 

You can (if the client allows it) use manual time, but there is absolutely no protection for manual time. 

Navid Z wrote:

And what kind of proof would be required?

No amount of proof would help. Manual time is not protected and if the client disputes or fails to pay, you will not get paid.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members