cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Manual Hours

Rachel U Member Since: Feb 15, 2019
1 of 18

Hi, a potential client has asked me to log hours manually, as I will be paid for the time that the video runs (that I will be transcribing), rather than my hours worked. So my logged hours will be identical to the length of the video, although I will actually be working for more hours than that. The payment arrangement is OK with me, but I want to check whether this billing method violates any codes of use on Upwork? Thank you!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 18

Manual time is fine, but when someone tells you to log manual time is when you use the tracker without doubt.

Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
3 of 18

Rachel U wrote:

Hi, a potential client has asked me to log hours manually, as I will be paid for the time that the video runs (that I will be transcribing), rather than my hours worked. So my logged hours will be identical to the length of the video, although I will actually be working for more hours than that. The payment arrangement is OK with me, but I want to check whether this billing method violates any codes of use on Upwork? Thank you!

No, it's not against Upwork's rules, but you are not protected if something goes wrong, for instance, if a client disputes the hours he/she wins by default.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 18

It's unusual, but not a violation.

PRACTICALLY SPEAKING... I'm more comfortable with this after the client has demonstrated that she can be trusted.

So it's Friday now. Maybe work a little before the end of this week. But until you actually start getting paid for the hours, because the client is not disputing them, you won't know for SURE.

I definitely wouldn't pull out all the stops and put in 40 hours or something on this until I have had a week go beyond the five-day review period within which a client may dispute hours.

Rachel U Member Since: Feb 15, 2019
5 of 18

Thanks very much Preston, this is really helpful information and advice. Much appreciated!

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 18

Hi Rachel, 

The members of the Community have given you sound advise. I would just like to take this opportunity to confirm that manual hours are not protected by the Upwork Payment Protection program. 

I would recommend that you read more about this program through this help article, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs to help you work safely on Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
Karuna S Member Since: Feb 23, 2019
7 of 18

Hi,

One of my project has ended 3 days ago.

I run upwork tracker 12 hours and 50 min but after this I asked client for adding manual time due to some reason and he allowed me.

I have added 5 hours 40 min manually.

After project completion, I see my earnings of 18 hours and 30 min but in timesheet I only see my tracked hours earnings, not my manual hours earning.

Please check from your side and let me know the issue.

Project name:  

Optimize VPS server and Wordpress

Regards

Karuna

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
8 of 18

Hi Karuna,

I checked your account and see that you have successfully added the manual hours. Manual time is not billed automatically and does not qualify for Upwork Hourly Protection. You may reach out to your client regarding the hours you have manually added. Since the contract has ended, he can send it to you as bonus. 

Correction: Manual time is billed automatically but does not qualify for Upwork Hourly Protection.

-Joanne
Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 18

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Manual time is not billed automatically

Of course manual time, up to the weekly limit, is billed automatically.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 18

That's not really an hourly contract. On an hourly contract, you are paid for hours worked. If you're being paid a flat rate based on the length of the video, that's a fixed price contract--you can pre-determine the amount due by looking at the running time of the video and the client can escrow those funds, which will provide you greater protection than manual time (which provides zero protection to the freelancer).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS