Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Hours

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 14

Preston H wrote:

. Hopefully this client is simply trying to be very frugal, and is not an outright scammer. That's what it seems like to me.

Maybe the client is simply used to paying per video-hour, this is absolutely normal outside of Upwork . Transcription is paid per audio-hour, subtitling etc ditto.

The client is likely neither "frugal", nor a scammer, he is just working according to what is the norm in the industry he is familiar with.

Rachel U Member Since: Feb 15, 2019
12 of 14

Thank you to everyone who offered their suggestions in regards to this situation. Being new to Upwork, all of your experienced opnions are very valuable. Thanks again!

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
13 of 14

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe manual hours are not safe even after the client has approved them. She can still dispute them up to 30 days after the end of the contract, and will still win the dispute automatically. In that case, even if the money is already in your bank account, you would have to repay it or else be suspended from Upwork. Is that right?

ETA I don't mean to scare you, Rachel. I haven't had any problem being paid so far, even with manual hours. Chances are you'll be OK.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 14

Richard W wrote:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe manual hours are not safe even after the client has approved them. She can still dispute them up to 30 days after the end of the contract, and will still win the dispute automatically. In that case, even if the money is already in your bank account, you would have to repay it or else be suspended from Upwork. Is that right?

Yes, that is correct.

Clients don't "approve" manual (or any) hours.

Approval is by not disputing.

I've never had an hour (or anything else) disputed in nearly 14k hours. It is worth bearing in mind that the protection is limited, but disputes are exception, not the rule.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS