🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Manual Time Dispute Resolution?
Page options
110a36c5
Community Member

Manual Time Dispute Resolution?

I provided services to a guy for a while using manual time. He always paid, until he didn't. I understand that manual time is not subject to Upwork guarantee. My question is whether there is a dispute resolution mechanism for manual time. I would like to dispute here for two reasons: (1) Help others not to get stiffed; and (2) Get an arbitration award which is much more easiliy enforceable in court than filing for breach of contract. I do intend to sue this guy regardless. Unfortunately for him, he lives where I do. TIA JV

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My question is whether there is a dispute resolution mechanism for manual time."

No. I have never heard of such a thing. I don't think it exists.

if you used manual time, then the process is simple:

If a client disputes your manual time, Upwork will remove it so that you don't get paid for that time.

The client has not disputed my manual time. The client has ceased
communicating.

re: "The client has not disputed my manual time. The client has ceased communicating."

Then why is there a problem?

If the client isn't disputing any time, and isn't communicating with you, then you get paid automatically.

Jimmy: I have had clients who literally go months without responding to me, while I continue working and sending reports. And then at some point they just pop in and say "Thanks for the work!"

It's a little unusual, but it's not a bad thing.

Is there something I'm missing from the explanation of your situation/problem/question?

His verified method of payment didn't work. In other words, his credit
card was rejected when it came time to pay.
yitwail
Community Member

Jimmy V wrote:
His verified method of payment didn't work. In other words, his credit
card was rejected when it came time to pay.

Had you used the time tracker, Upwork's payment guarantee would kick in and you'd be paid regardless, which is why I use manual time as little as possible.

I'm not looking for an admonition. If you know the answer to my
question, please tell me. If you don't, I'll ask someone else.
lysis10
Community Member

Upwork will continue to try to charge the card, but if it continues to fail you will get an email next week saying you refunded the client.

And no, there's no dispute option for manual time.

Jimmy V wrote:

Jimmy V wrote:

Jennifer M, has given you the answer and Upwork is unlikely to change its MO to suit individual freelancers. So now it is up to you to go after the perp. privately. But you should still close the contract before you do. 

petra_r
Community Member

Jimmy V wrote:
 If you know the answer to my

Rude, much?

No, there is absolutely no dispute resolution mechanism for manual time.

The only way you'll get paid if the client sorts their issues out or if you can afford to take it to court.

I'm re-reading your original post and trying to figure out what's going on.

I think there may be some mis-understanding on your part about manual time.

Clients don't approve time - whether manual or regular.

Freelancers log time, and Upwork automatically charges the client's credit card and pays money to the freelancer.

There is no actual action taken by the client for this to happen.

You said that the client paid you, until he didn't.

There are only two possible things that could happen:

- The client manually disputed the time (which you said he didn't do)

[or]

- The client's payment method was declined and Upwork could no longer bill the client's card for that time.

re: "His verified method of payment didn't work. In other words, his credit card was rejected when it came time to pay."

[Our posts crossed.]

Thank you for clarifying this.

This could be as simple a matter as his credit card expiration date needs to be updated, or there was a problem with his card (he reported it stolen). It could be something completely unintentional on his part. Or he could intentionally be trying to do something underhanded. I'm not convinced that you know for certain, at this point.

Clearly the right thing for you to do now is to stop working on the project.

Wait until you hear from him, and if he returns and asks what's going on, you can simply explain that there was a problem with his payment method.

He can update his payment method with Upwork and pay you any remaining balance using the Pay Bonus tool.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members