🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Manual Time Entries
Page options
ejruger
Community Member

Manual Time Entries

I'm curious as to whether others out there would like the following change to entering Manual Time.  I'm Agile so I'll create the functionality request in the form of a User Story

As a Freelancer, When entering manual timeI I would like the :To:" dropdown to populate / update to only include times greater than the time entered in the "From" dropdown so that the error message "time in "to" should be greater than time in from" becomes obsolete and user experience is enhanced.

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 1.32.11 PM.png

Maybe I'm the only person who routinely makes this mistake, but it seems like a quick and easy fix utilizing JavaScript or your preferred alternative

11 REPLIES 11
robin_hyman
Community Member

Yes that would be helpful.  Also change the 10-minute intervals to 5-minute intervals (my preference)

Very helpful indeed!  5 minutes would more useful for me too.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Eric, 

Thank you for sharing this here! I have forwarded it to the team for their consideration. 

~ Avery
Upwork
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I wanted to follow up and clarify that we did use the process you described but based on the feedback we received here in the Community and from freelancers directly, updated the process to the current time frame selection flow last year. We are listening to and take into consideration feedback received from our users, especially if shared in the Community forums, and would like to thank you for sharing this suggestion.

Robin, regarding shortening the 10-minute interval to 5 minutes, this isn't on our roadmap but will share your feedback with our team. Could you expand on the reasons why you'd prefer the shorter interval and how it would be more beneficial for your work process and type of work?

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I wanted to follow up and clarify that we did use the process you described but based on the feedback we received here in the Community and from freelancers directly, updated the process to the current time frame selection flow last year. We are listening to and take into consideration feedback received from our users, especially if shared in the Community forums, and would like to thank you for sharing this suggestion.

Why anyone would request that change is beyond me. I only bill manual time and actually cannot remember a time when this process was better/different...

It's doesn't make any sense to populate any "to" field with a number smaller than the one entered into a "from" field.

Ela K wrote:
Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Eric,

Why anyone would request that change is beyond me. I only bill manual time and actually cannot remember a time when this process was better/different...

It's doesn't make any sense to populate any "to" field with a number smaller than the one entered into a "from" field.

Echoing what Ela said. Why in the world would people request something that is entirely impossible (and pointless if it was possible) to successfully achieve? I have never seen such a suggestion, ever. Can you point out where people have asked to be able to add an end time that is prior to the start time so we can work out what their reasoning was?

It also used to be possible to actually TYPE in the time. That too was taken away. Adding manual time has become the most clunky and tedious part of the admin.use of the site.

steve-d
Community Member

Agreeing with Petra and Ela, I can't imagine why anyone would actually request this.
ejruger
Community Member

I wrote the initial post and like the others am very confused about how it is at all a useful "feature" to be able to select an earlier time for to than you select for from.

I have worked in software design and delivery for 20 years.  I have NEVER seen a web page (either customer facing or back office) that doesn't reduce the to list or lowlight the ineligibile responses.  

Bumping this thread - any news?

Thanks!

Vladimir G wrote:

Robin, regarding shortening the 10-minute interval to 5 minutes, this isn't on our roadmap but will share your feedback with our team. Could you expand on the reasons why you'd prefer the shorter interval and how it would be more beneficial for your work process and type of work?

Hi Vladimir,

I'm a marketing copywriter and most of my projects are rewriting emails and website landing pages.  Since my work requires creativity and 100% concentration, I tend to work in increments taking frequent breaks (sometimes at the 15-minute mark).  I may complete a section and need to regroup before continuing.  If the timing is even a few minutes under the 10-minute manual time allocation, I round down.  If I had the option of 5 minutes vs. 10 minutes, it would be a more accurate representation of the time needed to complete the project.  

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks for addressing!

Robin

I share the 5-minute preference with Robin, so maybe my answer helps too.

I had to overcharge a client recently (1:50 instead of 1:45) because the client had my quote for his material and I did not want to make the client have to change his setting for hourly billing instead of fixed-price. (I don't use the time tracker.) So, the reason for me would be saving the client some trouble and speeding up the payment process but not wanting to under- or overcharge, I guess.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths