🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Manual Time does not reflect in my Reports.
Page options
rebecca_ob
Community Member

Manual Time does not reflect in my Reports.

Hi,

My client allows manual time and I did add three hours of manual time last week. (He knows about it). However, the amount does not reflect in the pending payment tab. Just wondering when and if this will reflect. Is he supposed to review it first? He was supposed to increase my weekly limit but he got busy so I just worked and added manual time.

Please advice.

Thank you. 

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

I'm sorry, Rebecca.

You have some mistunderstanding about how this works.

If you reached the maximum number of hours allowed per week, then you do not get paid for hours logged beyond that.

Manual time? Time logged by the time-tracker? It does not matter.

Here is an example:

Your client has your "Maximum Hours Per Week" set to 5 hours.

You worked 5 hours.

You wanted to do more work.

You worked for 2 more hours.

This happened last week.

You only get paid (automatically) for 5 hours.

You thought that if you added hours using manual time that it would make a difference.

But it does not make a difference.

You may ask your client to pay you using the Pay Bonus tool.

Or you may explain what happened and ask the client if you may add those hours this week.

But there is no way for you to be automatically paid for EXTRA hours you worked last week.

re: "Just wondering when and if this will reflect."

It will NOT reflect.

re: "Is he supposed to review it first?"

No. There is no "review" or "approve" buttons for time. Not for time-tracker-logged time. Not for manually-logged time.

petra_r
Community Member

Rebecca O wrote:

My client allows manual time and I did add three hours of manual time last week. (He knows about it). However, the amount does not reflect in the pending payment tab. Just wondering when and if this will reflect. Is he supposed to review it first? He was supposed to increase my weekly limit but he got busy so I just worked and added manual time.

Time beyond the weekly limit, whether logged, tracked or manually entered, is not billed, charged or paid.

Your client will have to pay you via a bonus.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rebecca,

I checked this for you and the manually added hours you're referring to are available for the client's review currently. You can check the status of your payment by clicking on the 'Reports' tab and then clicking on 'Overview', funds you're referring to are currently under the Review tab.

Please learn about Hourly Payment Protection and weekly billing cycle.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you so much for all your replies. What then is the use of the add manual time feature?

I have checked the review tab but I guess that will not help now because he can only pay me as bonus?

Rebecca,

Always avoid adding manual time if at all possible. Your client has no obligation to ever pay you for it, regardless whether they say in writing they will or they have marked the project as "manual time allowed." Neither of those actions mean they will actually pay you.

Just ask your client to add XX more hours to the current or next week's allowable upper limit.

If they want to knock the weekly maximum back down to its current level in the future, they can easily do that.

There are many legitimate uses of manually-logged time.

Anything you can't do on your Upwork-equipped computer, you can log time manually for.

Examples:

Baking a a cake

Photographing bridges

Painting on an a real canvas

Drawing sketches

Talking on the phone

If you can't log time using the time-tracker, and if you trust the client, then using manually-logged time is a valid option. It may be the only option for an hourly contract.

But it is certainly not meant to be used when the time-tracker is a usable option.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths