Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual hours and overtime

resultsassoc
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
11 of 15

Patricia,

I don't know your domain, but it's not particularly relevant. Your work is important enough to the client that you are paid for it. This is most likely a "fell through the cracks" phenomenon.

You've been given the one-size-fits-all answer, which is to stop work on the contract. You've apparently established backup channels for communication with the client, which is good. There are four participants in the contract: you, the client, Upwork and randomness. I'd do at least some of the work, that covered by allowed hours, and inform the client through each channel you have that you can't do any more until the limit is restored.

If the client allowed manual hours, you've gained the client's trust. If that wasn't changed, you probably haven't lost the trust. That leaves the last two participants as suspects, and UW has plenty of incentive to help you. My candidate is random chance.

As a client, once I trust the freelancer I allow unlimited time and pay whatever is invoiced. As a freelancer, I expect my clients to do the same. I've been both onn multiple boards for more than fifteen years. Last October I sent a paypal invoice to a non-brokered client, then was hospitalized for a while, after which brain surgery and a tough recovery pretty well did me in. I went into paypal yesterday to send a new invoice, and found that I'd had a few hundred dollars sitting in paypal since October. Oops.

As the mother of a newborn once said, spit happens.

winnie-zulueta
Winnie Z Member Since: Nov 7, 2016
12 of 15

Does our overtime get deleted after a period of time? How long will it stay in our diary?

andregutierrez22
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
13 of 15

Hi Winnie,

If you exceed the Weekly Limit using the time tracker the hours will be logged to your Work Diary marked in red. The time logged will remain visible in the Work Diary but will not be automatically invoiced to your client.

~Andrea
Upwork
winnie-zulueta
Winnie Z Member Since: Nov 7, 2016
14 of 15
Thank you for your answer. How long will they stay there? They are
allowed overtime. My client doesn't have the time to approve them yet.
Hence my question.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 15

re: "Thank you for your answer. How long will they stay there?"

Record of overtime remains in your work diary forever.

Nobody gets asked to approve overtime. You simply don't get paid for it.

=======
I am allowed to work 5 hours per week.

I wanted to finish a task I was working on. I willingly worked 6 hours.

Will I get paid for all 6 hours?

No.

What are my options?
1. Do nothing. Accept not getting paid.

2. Ask the client to increase the number of hours allowed per week.

3. Tell the client that I worked an extra hour and ask him to use the client-side "Send bonus" tool to pay me for an additional hour.

Are clients required to pay for work done beyond the maximum number of hours per week?
No.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS