cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual time added after hourly limit exceeded

Highlighted
Vince F Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
1 of 17

My client had activated "add manual hours" on my contract upon my acceptance of his job offer. As a matter of courtesy though, s soon as I reached my hourly limit for the week, I sent my client an email requesting permission to add manual time if I still have work left to do. He agrees to my request. Is my manual time hours going to be billed automatically to him or will he have to do something first to process its payment along with my regular weekly hours? I did 2 hours of manual time 2 weeks ago, and 1 hour manual time last week and neither have been processed. My client is even asking where does he go to approve it on Upwork?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 17

According to what I've read from this thread, an email will be sent to your client.  Please check this out: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/How-does-the-client-pay-manual-time/m-p/21981#M684.  Thanks.

Highlighted
3 of 17

Yes, I understand that as I have access to his emails as his VA. He gets notifications of my manual hours for the previous week. However, when I go and check my Upwork transactions breakdown, there is no entry for the manual hours, just the regular hours.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 17

any time over the hourly limit, be it tracked or manual, is NOT invoiced, billed, or charged.

If your client wants to pay for it they have to issue you a bonus.

Highlighted
5 of 17

Do you have a link where Upwork specifically cites this?

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 17

@Vince F wrote:

Do you have a link where Upwork specifically cites this?

It shows you just that info when you reach your weekly limit.

In any case, it is fact, not opinon.

I also don't know why you didn't at least track the time over your weekly limit, so the client could see what was being done.

Clients are not notified when you work over your weekly limit, and the overtime does not count or appear in reports.

If you anticipate the need for regular overtime it would make sense to get your client to increase the weekly limit as dealing with time over the limit is inconvenient for all concerned.

Highlighted
7 of 17

I understand. I just wanted to have something to show to my client in case he balks at paying a bonus. 

Thanks, Petra. Man Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 17

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

According to what I've read from this thread, an email will be sent to your client. 

Not when the time was over the weekly limit, and this does not have anything to do with Vince's situation.

He needed to know how he can get paid for time over his weekly limit, not whether his client is informed of manual time or not.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
9 of 17

"My client is even asking where does he go to approve it on Upwork?"

This was what I use the thread for, Petra.   

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 17

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

"My client is even asking where does he go to approve it on Upwork?"

This was what I use the thread for, Petra.   

How is that relevant?

There is no way for a client to approve overtime. Vince was asking how his client can approve payment for OVERTIME and the answer is "he can't" because overtime is not billed, invoiced, charged, or in reports. It can only be paid via a bonus.

Your thread is about manual time which has nothing to do with how Vince can get paid for work over the weekly limit.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS