Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual time added after hourly limit exceeded

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria Marilyn M Member Since: Oct 27, 2010
11 of 17

Manual time can be added if the client agrees to it (as specified in your contract, Manual Time Allowed: Yes). However, it should still be within the allowed number of hours per week (say 40). Anything in excess of that, whether manual or tracked is no longer paid automatically. The client will manually add the money as a bonus if he/she wants. 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
12 of 17

Hi Vince,

The client will be able to see time logged by you over the weekly limit in the Work Diary. In order to pay you for that time the client will need to issue a bonus payment.

Note that time logged over the weekly limit is not paid automatically and is not covered by the Upwork Hourly Protection, as Petra explained.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Asif R Member Since: Jan 7, 2015
13 of 17

Dear if you added manual timing in this week and its overlapped the time limits, your client will get an email containing the additional hours bill. If he approved your account will be loaded with that amount. If he rejects you will not get anything. Always try to request to your client to add some more hours on the task/job rather than requesting to add overtime.

Regards

Asif

Asif Rehman
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 17

@Asif R wrote:

Dear if you added manual timing in this week and its overlapped the time limits, your client will get an email containing the additional hours bill. If he approved your account will be loaded with that amount. If he rejects you will not get anything.

Completely wrong.

The client will NOT be informed of any time over the weekly limit, will NOT get an email about it, will NOT get a bill or invoice for it, it will NOT appear in the client's reports, the client will NOT get any option to approve it, and will NOT get any option to reject it.

The ONLY way to get paid for time over the weekly limit is if the client manually issues a bonus for it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 17

I don't know what would happen if I added manual time BEYOND the maximum weekly hours, and then the client increased the hours.

But I can tell you what I learned from personal experience a couple months ago.

I was working on a big project and had worked many hours during the week. I worked a couple hours ovet the maximum limit, just because I wanted to get the project done. I fully expected to NOT get paid for those hours.

The client increased the maximum nimbler of hours, and Upwork's system automatically added payment for those hours.

The client actually told me "we don't want you to not get paid for the hours you worked," which was very decent of them.

Anyway, because the client increased the hour limit during the same week that I logged extra hours, the hours were no longer counted as beyond the hourly limit by Upwork. So the client did NOT need to use a bonus payment.

The same thing happened a little later with another client. So I'm sure this is automatic, but I have only personally done this with time logged by the time-tracker.  I have never added manual time that went beyond the weekly limit on hours, and had a client increase the hours limit.

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
16 of 17

The same thing happened to me. I worked over the time limit but continued clocking the time. The client then changed the work hours to unlimited and the hours were automatically covered. This was all in the same week.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 17

Yes, if the client increases the maximum hours per week that takes effect immediately, so any hours that were overtime before the increase, in the current week, are no longer overtime and get billed, charged and paid normally.

In Vince's case it was for a previous week, so only the bonus route works.

Incidentally a DECREASE of maximum hours does not take effect immediately, but on the next Monday

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS