Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual time silliness

memphis_chris
Chris M Member Since: Jan 3, 2016
1 of 9

Here's what happened.

1. I was invited to work on a project.

2. Client and I had some discussion before the contract began.

3. I did some preliminary work.

4. Client hired someone else, but graciously offered to pay for time spent on step #3.

5. Contract begins.

Now, I go to add manual time.

First weirdness: I have to adjust the time drop-downs from UTC+0 to UTC+6.  Is it that hard to either leave the drop-downs as UTC+6 or display the contract start time properly?  For example, this job started at 3:07 in my timezone.  Setting manual time any earlier than 9:10 pm gives this message: Contract started today at 3:07pm UTC+00.  That's wrong.  The contract started at 3:07pm UTC+6, or 9:07pm UTC+0.

Next weirdness.  Apparently I have to wait 50 minutes to add 50 minutes.  Otherwise I get "You cannot add future manual memo, check your time."  This is silly - in the scenario above, I've done the work even though there was no contract yet.  So there's a legitmate use-case for setting the start time to before contract begin time.

Thoughts?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 9

@Chris M wrote: I've done the work even though there was no contract yet. 

Thoughts?

Yes.

NEVER do any work without a contract. If anything is "silliness" it is working without a contract.

Solution: Add the manual time for after the contract was started.

memphis_chris
3 of 9

@Petra R wrote:

Yes.

NEVER do any work without a contract. If anything is "silliness" it is working without a contract.

Solution: Add the manual time for after the contract was funded.

Nothing wrong with spending time putting together a solid time/cost estimate for a possibly long-term hourly assignment.  Sometimes that means diving into the code.  Usually, it's lost time if I don't get the job, but them's the breaks 😉

What's weird to me though is that I still can't add the manual time yet.  Looks like I have to wait anther 10-15 minutes or so.  And that message being the wrong time zone really ought to be fixed.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 9

Your client obviously wants to do the right thing. You both seem to be on the same page, just ask for a bonus payment. It is much simpler.

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
5 of 9

This makes sense Nichola. Chris, your circumstances are unique and not what we recommend (working without a contract). It's not surprising that you're running into issues with trying to charge for time that was already completed. In the future, going with the bonus payment or a fixed price contract might be better options. 

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
6 of 9

Chris M wrote:

Here's what happened.

1. I was invited to work on a project.

2. Client and I had some discussion before the contract began.

3. I did some preliminary work.

4. Client hired someone else, but graciously offered to pay for time spent on step #3.

5. Contract begins.

Petra is right. You don't do any work without a contract. 

It's a good thing this client is cool and wanted to pay you for your time. It could've gone a whole nuther way with someone esle. 

memphis_chris
7 of 9

Again - when asked 'how long will it take you to fix these N bugs?', sometimes you have to dive in there and poke around before giving a good answer.  If I lose 30 minutes and pick up a 4-hour job, then that's still a win 😉

In my experience showing competence and small amount of good faith (I've actually looked at your site/code and am not just sending a boilerplate response) gets me hired.

On this one, there were 1000s of lines of code to hunt through before I could provide a solid estimate.

So once more - I'm not worried about time lost without a contract in place.  Not at all. That's a risk I'm willing to take under the right circumstances.  I just wish the UI for adding manual time was not so user-hostile.  Any thoughts on *that*? 😉

Chris

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 9

Hi Chris,

Your can switch your Work Diary time zone between yours and UTC (used for all other reports on Upwork). Since Manual Time pop up is a part of the Work Diary, it will have the same time zone as you have set for your Work Diary.

~ Valeria
Upwork
memphis_chris
9 of 9

That fixes the drop-downs. But the error message is still silly: "Contract started today at 3:07am UTC-06:00".

That contract started at 3:07 *pm* in my time zone, not am 😉

(and I guess I'm really UTC-6, not +6 - oops!)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS