Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manuel time, Refund requested by client,

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 28

Chloe W wrote:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, just had a quick question.

I had a client end a contract and I guess he sent in a ticket for a refund request, as per the message I received. I never had an issue giving him one as neither of us were happy with the contract, so I went ahead and issued it to him via the invoice.

I'm just a little confused.....the hours I put in from 2 weeks ago were sitting in my pending balance, and the $45 was removed from that balance (I kinda needed it today and didn't realize that was the balance it was pulling from). For those hours, the project was successfully completed, and I definitely should be getting paid for it. My question is will the $45 that is currently in review still reach my account? Essentially, we had 2 blogs at 2.5 hours per blog, I should still be receiving the 45$ worth of work for the first one and the second should be refunded to him....I'm sorry if that's confusing.

If he disputed manual hours, then he would have gotten credit. If you manually gave him a refund, the money is taken out of pending (IIRC) and then your review balance moves over. Been a while since I've done this, but usually my balance goes into the red and then what is in review moves over.

Upwork had some bug and refunded one guy twice for me once, so you want to make sure you watch the emails you receive and watch your balance.

Chloe W Member Since: Aug 26, 2018
12 of 28
Thanks so much! Yes you were right, it ended up becoming red in my pending
balance for 16 bucks but I'm just happy my hours went through, I had a bill
due haha...thanks so much for your response though I'm really glad that
someone else has experienced this.
Lalaina Fenosoa R Member Since: Jul 24, 2017
13 of 28

In the case that I will refund his $4, how to proceef if the contract is already ended? Since Sep 7, 2017 - Contract ID **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 28

This does not explain how you think the client should pay you for 1) downloading time and 2) more because you have bad Internet (how is your bad Internet the client's problem?)

Are you sure the contract was limited to 1 hour a week?

Why did you end the contract? It is bad practice to do so, you should always wait a while. Now you can no longer make any changes to the work diary, and the client WILL be charged the full $ 7.00 on Monday and you can not refund until afterwards.

Essentially you made a complete mess of this, and if the client is petty enough to get mad over $ 4.00 then he'll be petty enough to leave you bad feedback for charging over twice what you agreed to.

15 of 28
Wow, My mistakes then.I did not know, I think that when job was finished I can end contract because this option is availabe. I am a newbie at upwork, just 1month.
16 of 28
if there no way to refund him, I do not want to have any problem with client. The only way is to cancel the job I give him back all 7$. Is there any chance to do that?
Community Guru
17 of 28

@Lalaina Fenosoa R wrote:
if there no way to refund him, I do not want to have any problem with client. The only way is to cancel the job I give him back all 7$. Is there any chance to do that?

No. You can write to the clieent, apologize, tell him you make a complete pig's ear of it, and that you will not be able to refund until Mondday because there is no refund button until there is something to refund. Also explain that your hasty ending of the contract means you are not able to delete the extra time because ending the contract locks the work diary and you can no longer make any changes, can't cancel or delete or change a thing.

18 of 28

thank you for your help end advice. So what can I do on monday? 

Community Guru
19 of 28

Some time on Monday afternoon UTC timezone the client gets charged and afterwards you can refund those ridiculous $ 3.00

But for the sake of the feedback you'll get you should communicate with the client.

20 of 28

Thank you so much Petra, you are very helpful. I just started on upwork few month ago and I get this kind of problem. I take it as a new experience for the future.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS