cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Map of Location on Profile ... New Feature?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
81 of 249

@Rene K wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

And that is quite enough information.  I don't want some nutter tracking me down to my house. Maps just make it that much easier. And I would also like to know how legal this is.

Legal varies from country to country but one fact is sure: these maps are totally useless for tracking you for they provide no information that a client doesn't already have.

Your clients can put your town name in Google Maps and find out where it is located. If you're in the phone book, they can find you. If you're not in the phone book and if you left no traces on the Internet, they know your name, your town and they can point your town on the map.

They can wait at the local bakery to see if you would show up to buy your daily baguette. They, however, don't need the map that is (not) on your Upwork profile for any of this.

This of course, is true, so why the need for a Google map?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
82 of 249

Nichola,

The maps are visual representation of the information that's already available on your profile. It doesn't give a person who views your profile information about your address.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
83 of 249

Upwork "Privacy Policy" - excerpt (emphasis added):

"6. CHANGING YOUR INFORMATION OR CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT

Upon request Upwork will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. You are responsible for maintaining the accuracy of the information you submit to us, such as your contact information.

You may access, correct, or request deletion of your personal information by making updates to that information or by contacting Upwork through your online account."

I am, hereby, contacting Upwork on my online account to correct the 1,306 mile error on the new Map affixed to my Profile or request deletion of this personal information.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Highlighted
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
84 of 249

Joseph:

Your profile shows you are in Humble in two spots (including the map). Did you move and when you submitted your change Upwork didn't update your profile?

When I moved and changed my location, it showed up immediately. I just logged into my account and changed the settings and it was immediate.

Try changing it in your settings and see what happens.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
85 of 249

Cheryl K,

No, I didn't move.

But to fix this problem myself, I learned that the map "system" didn't like my real town of Kingwood, TX (it was not on the "List") so I tried the next door town of Humble, TX and now the map shows the dot nearby.

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
86 of 249

@Valeria K wrote:

Nichola,

The maps are visual representation of the information that's already available on your profile. It doesn't give a person who views your profile information about your address.

It gives the appearance, especially for rural areas, that it is pointing to the freelancer's actual location. And there has been no assurance that it won't be "updated" in the future with our address rather than city, without our permission or knowledge.

The main point has still not been addressed: why were freelancers not notified BEFORE this "feature" was implemented?

This keeps happening. And then you wonder why we're upset when things are sprung on us, especially really stupid things like this. Communication is everything, and Upwork keeps failing at it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
87 of 249

@Valeria K wrote:

Nichola,

Upwork has absolutely no idea of where I actually live, TG for that. However, you are quite wrong about "visual representation". If Google or whatever device Upwork is using, actually did find "visual representation" of my whereabouts, they would find exactly where I live given my rural setting.

If ever Upwork gets around to "mapping" me accurately, and I get robbed, I will sue the company.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
88 of 249

@Valeria K wrote:

Nichola,

Rest assured that there is no intention to display freelancers' exact location on their profiles.

But that is exactly what Upwork is doing. Nichola is correct, because once a client hires us, they have access to our full names and where we live ... thanks to Google maps, pictures of our homes. Maybe I don't want my clients to know I live in a van down by the river.

I realize privacy is a thing of the past to a certain degree, but I'm guessing this decision may have not been thought all the way through. Like the legality of it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
89 of 249

@Virginia F wrote:

@Valeria K wrote:

Nichola,

Rest assured that there is no intention to display freelancers' exact location on their profiles.

But that is exactly what Upwork is doing. Nichola is correct, because once a client hires us, they have access to our full names and where we live ... thanks to Google maps, pictures of our homes. Maybe I don't want my clients to know I live in a van down by the river.

I realize privacy is a thing of the past to a certain degree, but I'm guessing this decision may have not been thought all the way through. Like the legality of it.

Yes. Clients know your town and name. Again, what the maps displayed on your profile have to do with this?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
90 of 249

Vladimir G. posted:

Hi all,

Following up on  the questions and concerns raised in this thread, please note that the map some of you are seeing on your profile is simply a visual representation of your city and state, and does not reflect the exact address on your account. We did this to help clients quickly scan and process all the information on your profile. Some clients may not be familiar with your city, and providing a map can help them put your location into context. Although we didn’t add any new information to your profile page, we hope this map will encourage clients to feel more engaged as they consider you for their projects.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Vlad, thanks for responding; I've always felt that you're a good guy.  Smiley Wink

Mine is not a visual representation of my city and state.  Since I live in a smaller, rural area for numerous reasons I'd especially prefer if it not. 

If I'm understanding what you're sharing correctly, this new feature was added with Clients in mind; is that correct?  What about having Freelancers in mind? 

IMO it's obvious we Freelancers are against this.  Please get rid of the stupid maps.   

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS