cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map of Location on Profile ... New Feature?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
91 of 249

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi all,

Following up on  the questions and concerns raised in this thread, please note that the map some of you are seeing on your profile is simply a visual representation of your city and state, and does not reflect the exact address on your account. We did this to help clients quickly scan and process all the information on your profile. Some clients may not be familiar with your city, and providing a map can help them put your location into context. Although we didn’t add any new information to your profile page, we hope this map will encourage clients to feel more engaged as they consider you for their projects.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

This is a completely useless effort. Please turn it off.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
92 of 249

The maps I have seen don't give clients ANY information that isn't already at the top of the profile page.

I don't see this as any kind of security or privacy concern.

I like the idea of the map. If one point in showing a map is to let clients know that I'm located in the United States, then it seems like a beneficial addition to the page.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
93 of 249

It's perhaps a good thing only US freelancers are being afflicted with these wretched little maps.

Take my country for instance, it is so small compared to the US that the arrow is likely to miss the country altogether, and show me as floating in the ocean either somewhere between Africa and South America, or between Africa and the Indian sub-continent.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
94 of 249

The map on my Profile is still 1,306 miles from my home and office.

It is an EMBARRASMENT for me and UW if a Client notices.

How can a Client feel confident of the ability of the Freelancer (OR UPWORK) if they think you don't even know where the h..l you are?

I join the others is asking - Just Kill the Map!

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
95 of 249

Mods,

I opened a Support Ticket (19706468)  to correct the 1,306 mile error in my Map Location two days ago with no response, notwithstanding 3 follow ups for an answer.

I guess being Top Rated, 100% JSS, earned $30K+ in 1.5 years doesn't get much response by Upwork Support?

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
96 of 249

Personally, I like the map on my profile, but mainly because Big Island of Hawaii is small enough that the map is actually informative. If the map *must* be displayed, then it ought to have a zoom feature as Rene suggested I think, or else a profile option to zoom in or out to whatever level you think works well. And lastly, if it's not a google map, and I don't think it is because it doesn't say google anywhere, perhaps it could be altered visually so it doesn't look like a google map. Just using a different colored marker might ease concerns that it could be used to determine exact street address.

Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
97 of 249

@John K wrote:

Personally, I like the map on my profile, but mainly because Big Island of Hawaii is small enough that the map is actually informative. If the map *must* be displayed, then it ought to have a zoom feature as Rene suggested I think, or else a profile option to zoom in or out to whatever level you think works well. And lastly, if it's not a google map, and I don't think it is because it doesn't say google anywhere, perhaps it could be altered visually so it doesn't look like a google map. Just using a different colored marker might ease concerns that it could be used to determine exact street address.

When I first saw the feature, I was annoyed that I didn't have it, because it seems to add an extra layer of authenticity and another reason to favor US freelancers (when it's accurate). But after reading some of the complaints here, I guess I see it as a nice-to-have because I don't have to worry about a crazy client flying to Mozambique just to bother me Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
98 of 249

Preston I agree.

Since leaving Florida for Ohio, I've noticed that my city name confuses people. They see "Delaware" and think I am in the state of Delaware, not in a town outside of Columbus in Ohio.

I like the map, it makes it clear where in the US I am located.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
99 of 249

@Cheryl K wrote:

Preston I agree.

Since leaving Florida for Ohio, I've noticed that my city name confuses people. They see "Delaware" and think I am in the state of Delaware, not in a town outside of Columbus in Ohio.

I like the map, it makes it clear where in the US I am located.

That's one advantage, but that could as easily be addressed by simply appending the state to the city (which should be the case, anyway, since the vast majority of town/city names are completely meaningless without a state attached)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
100 of 249

Hi Vladimir,

Really, as Rene says, I do not understand why the map is necessary.

On the other hand, why, if it is for "help clients quickly scan and process the information on your profile", has only been done with the USA?
Those of us who are not from the USA, do not we need customers to process all the information in our profiles? Why?

I do not know if I agree to add the map, what I do not agree with is the way it is done (without warning), adding more information than is strictly necessary and what is being said that this has not been added

In Spain there are no states but provinces, and in my profile it does not appear. If the map were added, this information would be added, right?
On the other hand, if it is for the clients, why can I see it (freelancer) when entering a profile?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS