cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map of Location on Profile ... New Feature?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
101 of 249

Maria,

Don't worry too much. Upwork gets confused in its own country - I think it would get lost in translation in Europe!

It is going to take a while for Upwork to pinpoint its European - and  indeed, its Asian - subscribers.  I don't think we need to worry just yet.

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
102 of 249

Hi Nichola,

Yes, from what I'm seeing, when they go to Europe this is going to be fun. Where will we end? Robot Frustrated

And as you said in a post, when they go to the Asian area ...

kathrynbaughman
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
103 of 249

@Maria T wrote:

Hi Nichola,

Yes, from what I'm seeing, when they go to Europe this is going to be fun. Where will we end? Robot Frustrated

And as you said in a post, when they go to the Asian area ...

When this happens (if ever, because the rest of the world has far more privacy laws) I expect we'll all need a REALLY big bag of popcorn.  

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
jared_k
Community Leader
Jared K Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
104 of 249

If someone uses this "map" to find me for some nefarious reason then they will probably be mugged in the neighborhood that is marked. 

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
105 of 249

A business cannot run every change by its customer. However, good businesses develop relationships with their customers and seek input and even form "voice of the customer" groups made up of long-time customers or those with a history of active engagement. This isn't about some silly map, but it should be obvious from the community that there is a desire for greater input. It's still up to the business what and how to do something, but soliciting the voice of the customer is an extremely valuable tool that is lacking here. There are many willing participants so this would not be a hard exercise. 

The inclusion of the map does not in anyway impede further our privacy. It's based only on the city which is clearly (and always has been) located at the very top of your profile. If you are worried that somehow the map could be changed to point to your specific address then you should also be worried that somehow your profile will change to show your address rather than just your city. I have not heard anyone complain or worry about this so what exactly does the map do that increases risk? How can I not just go to your profile, copy your city, and then paste it into tons of mapping sites that will show exactly the same thing? 

I suspect that some of the ire (rightfully) comes from the fact that more important site features remain broken for months while stuff like this just shows up. It gives the impression that engineers are not focused on the right things and that random changes just happen with no planning or thought. Again, that's the impression. Not a hard one to fix.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
106 of 249

My stupid map is gone!  YEAH!!! Woman Very Happy  Mods, I have a request I'd greatly appreciate if you could expedite for me.  My Profile (under name and areas of specialization) states my location as Central, United States which I want.  However, on the right side of my Profile my location is stated as Central, Illinois.  I do not want Central Illinois I want Central, United States. 

Two years ago I'd contacted Upwork Customer Support sharing how I wished for my location to show.  They'd shared with me that I could use Central as the city, and my Profile would state my location as Central, United States.  This is how I continue to want my location to show.  Thanks in advance for your assistance regarding this.    

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
107 of 249

Pat M wrote: My Profile (under name and areas of specialization) states my location as Central, United States which I want.  However, on the right side of my Profile my location is stated as Central, Illinois.  I do not want Central Illinois I want Central, United States. 

Two years ago I'd contacted Upwork Customer Support sharing how I wished for my location to show.  They'd shared with me that I could use Central as the city, and my Profile would state my location as Central, United States.  This is how I continue to want my location to show.  Thanks in advance for your assistance regarding this.    

Are you saying you are not located in a town called "Central?"

How does that go with the terms of service which state that you must give complete and accurate details, including location?

And as the way your location is displayed is programmed across the board I doubt they'll reprogramm the site with its millions of freelancers so yours displays your location to your liking Smiley Wink

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
108 of 249

Petra, Upwork (previously oDesk) has always been aware of "complete and accurate details" regarding me as I've always provided them with that information.  

As I'd shared in my post, Upwork Customer Support shared I could use Central as the City, and my Profile would state Central, United States.  They were fully aware of specifically where I reside.

As I also shared, the top portion of my Profile is showing Central, United States as I prefer.  The right side is showing Location-Central, Illinois.  Perhaps Upwork should simply either assure that the area on the right states the same information as does the top portion on all Freelancers' Profiles or possibly just remove the Location information from the right side on all Profiles.

Petra, pull those claws in, girl.  They're not at all becoming;  especially when someone hasn't done anything wrong whatsoever.  Woman Wink 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
109 of 249

Pat,

Please, go to your Settings> Contact Info> Location and update your address. I found the ticket from 2 years ago you are referring to and will bring it to the teams attention. Sorry about the incorrect information shared in it.
By design "City, State, Country" will be shown on your profile and we are unable to make exceptions for this.

Once again, apologies for the confusion.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
110 of 249

@Valeria K wrote:

Pat,

Please, go to your Settings> Contact Info> Location and update your address. I found the ticket from 2 years ago you are referring to and will bring it to the teams attention. Sorry about the incorrect information shared in it.
By design "City, State, Country" will be shown on your profile and we are unable to make exceptions for this.

Once again, apologies for the confusion.

*headdesk*

Can you please explain WHY it is SO IMPORTANT to be able to pinpoint US freelancers on a map image? Just, WHY? Look how much time Upwork employees have already had to waste because 1) it doesn't work correctly for all freelancers, and 2) NOBODY ASKED FOR IT.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS