cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map of Location on Profile ... New Feature?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 249

@Stefan C wrote:

Although it might look like Google Maps, those are not Google (provided) maps. It’s most likely something Upwork has put together internally (or licensed from another 3rd party) based on the flat earth model - that would explain the accuracy.

One reason why the rest of us aren’t getting any maps is prolly because Upwork doesn’t (yet) have (licensed) maps for the rest of the world, or cannot reliably “pinpoint” our location.

I ran into this problem in one of my RL jobs. You're not allowed to have Google Maps in private sites, so IIRC, if Google can't crawl it then you can't use Maps. I'm guessing they can't use Google Maps due to some people setting their profiles as private and blocking Google from crawling.

It's been a while since I dealt with it but my lead was all "do whatever map program you want' so I integrated G Maps and we had to redo it (ooops) because we were using it behind a firewall. Yep, one of my bigger mistakes I'd say but not as bad as sending thousands of emails to the same customers BIG OOPS.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 249

@Stefan C wrote:

Although it might look like Google Maps, those are not Google (provided) maps. It’s most likely something Upwork has put together internally (or licensed from another 3rd party) based on the flat earth model - that would explain the accuracy.

One reason why the rest of us aren’t getting any maps is prolly because Upwork doesn’t (yet) have (licensed) maps for the rest of the world, or cannot reliably “pinpoint” our location.

Stefan,

That's both a lot of suppositions and an extraordinary waste of resources if true. Upwork is unprofitable, and barely seems able to keep the site running. I do not see the investor-dominated and hands-on board of directors throwing money at reinventing geolocation remapping the US, let alone the globe.

Best,

Michael

Edited to add: Please also note Valeria's subsequent invocation of Google.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
13 of 249

Slow clap for inadvertently perpetuating the US's generally dismal grasp of geography. Look, everybody! Brooklyn, NY is actually located in Connecticut. 

download (10).jpeg

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
14 of 249

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Stefan,

That's both a lot of suppositions and an extraordinary waste of resources if true. Upwork is unprofitable, and barely seems able to keep the site running. I do not see the investor-dominated and hands-on board of directors throwing money at reinventing geolocation remapping the US, let alone the globe.

Best,

Michael

Edited to add: Please also note Valeria's subsequent invocation of Google.

No suppositions there, Michael.

The maps displayed on US profiles are not provided by Google. One way to figure that out is to look for the copyright notice (missing) - that’s required on all Google Maps.

They are not reinventing geolocation, or remapping the US, it’s a bit simpler than that. Upwork’s approach (considering their product expectations/scale they’re using it at) might actually be cheaper to develop vs paying Google for their maps. It’s not a waste of resources, it's the opposite.

As far as Valeria's invocation of Google goes - she’s referring to the address autocomplete/geocoding thing (not the actual maps), which is indeed ”powered by Google”.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
15 of 249

@Stefan C wrote:

....The maps displayed on US profiles are not provided by Google. One way to figure that out is to look for the copyright notice (missing) - that’s required on all Google Maps.

They are not reinventing geolocation, or remapping the US, it’s a bit simpler than that. Upwork’s approach (considering their product expectations/scale they’re using it at) might actually be cheaper to develop vs paying Google for their maps. It’s not a waste of resources, it's the opposite.

As far as Valeria's invocation of Google goes - she’s referring to the address autocomplete/geocoding thing (not the actual maps), which is indeed ”powered by Google”.

Stefan,

Thanks for the gracious and informative response. I bow to your expertise. I see how I was "supposing" that the use of one Google service implied the use of another.

And given the anomalies others have reported here, I can readily see how Upwork might have decided neither to use Google for its maps nor create its own, but perhaps acquire them from Acme.com.

Best,

Michael

acme-wile-e1445253744186.jpg

wileecoyote-plangif-91802ff6946af499.gif

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
16 of 249

Apparently.  At least so far.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
17 of 249

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

US only though?

location map.png

You beat me to it, heh. Noticed this earlier today when searching for freelancers on behalf of a current client. It was on 3 diff profiles, and then I looked at mine and there it was.

Not sure about location (US ONLY) because I was only looking at US freelancers, and I am in the US.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
18 of 249

Well, I am glad it is restricted to US. I don't want any maps showing where I live. In any case, Google hasn't got to me yet - one can only get a general rural idea.

Google maps are no longer as good as they used to be. Bing - much as I dislike it - has much better and more detailed maps . . .

I'm really surprised that Upwork doesn't make all its freelancers wear uniforms. Perhaps in different coloured stripes, to denote levels - and maybe little caps to denote levels of English - and then the freelancer could be placed on the little map . . .

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
19 of 249

@Nichola L wrote:

Well, I am glad it is restricted to US. I don't want any maps showing where I live. In any case, Google hasn't got to me yet - one can only get a general rural idea.

Google maps are no longer as good as they used to be. Bing - much as I dislike it - has much better and more detailed maps . . .

I'm really surprised that Upwork doesn't make all its freelancers wear uniforms. Perhaps in different coloured stripes, to denote levels - and maybe little caps to denote levels of English - and then the freelancer could be placed on the little map . . .

We know where you are Nichola ... and you've been reported to Google. You'd best start packing.  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
20 of 249

@Nichola L wrote:

If your personal "visual" of the uniform policy is represented by an actual digital photo, I think it's fair to ask if you have any such visual on hand Smiley Happy

I myself keep thinking of something like this:

vintage-airline-uniform-on-barbie-doll.png

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS