cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map of Location on Profile ... New Feature?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
21 of 249

we dun got a map woot

Image result for fabulous nene i have arrived

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
22 of 249

Unreal!

I live in Kingwood, TX - 20 miles north of Houston as stated on Profile and the Map shows me in Washington, DC!.

I guess just about 1,200 miles off.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
23 of 249

Lol Joseph ... another useless addition to profiles, and they can't get it right. At least mine is close, though I'm not in Colorado Springs.

ETA: Joseph ... your little bullet dashes aren't lined up very well either.

Community Guru
24 of 249

Mods,

You may wish to alert Management.

I have found several other Freelancers living in North Carolina, Illinois, etc. all shown on your new map as Living in Washington, DC.

D.C. is getting real crowded.

It is should be embarrassing to Upwork  that Clients reviewing Profiles are seeing this obvious error.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
25 of 249

@Rene K wrote:

US profiles have now a small Google Map pointing to their city. It's funny but pretty useless since it's so small that, unless a major city is shown on the map, there is no much ways to tell where they are at.

Also I wonder why US people only, by the way.

Because we're special Rene. Smiley Wink

But seriously, does it seem as if UW implements the silliest things, when the site has other issues begging to be addressed and or fixed?

What is the point of these tiny little maps?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
26 of 249

re: "Also I wonder why US people only, by the way."

People in France don't need a map to tell them where they are.

Community Leader
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
27 of 249

@Rene K wrote:

US profiles have now a small Google Map pointing to their city. It's funny but pretty useless since it's so small that, unless a major city is shown on the map, there is no much ways to tell where they are at.

Also I wonder why US people only, by the way.

Although it might look like Google Maps, those are not Google (provided) maps. It’s most likely something Upwork has put together internally (or licensed from another 3rd party) based on the flat earth model - that would explain the accuracy.

One reason why the rest of us aren’t getting any maps is prolly because Upwork doesn’t (yet) have (licensed) maps for the rest of the world, or cannot reliably “pinpoint” our location.

Community Guru
28 of 249

Wonder how many potential Clients we Freelancers are losing when they check Profiles and see that the map location is so totally wrong (thousands of miles) and question the ability of the Freelancer and Upwork to perform something as simple as matching the City and State shown for the Freelancer to a location on a map?

I opened a Support Ticket last night to just remove the erroneous map from my Profile with no response at this time.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
29 of 249

@Stefan C wrote:

Although it might look like Google Maps, those are not Google (provided) maps. It’s most likely something Upwork has put together internally (or licensed from another 3rd party) based on the flat earth model - that would explain the accuracy.

One reason why the rest of us aren’t getting any maps is prolly because Upwork doesn’t (yet) have (licensed) maps for the rest of the world, or cannot reliably “pinpoint” our location.

I ran into this problem in one of my RL jobs. You're not allowed to have Google Maps in private sites, so IIRC, if Google can't crawl it then you can't use Maps. I'm guessing they can't use Google Maps due to some people setting their profiles as private and blocking Google from crawling.

It's been a while since I dealt with it but my lead was all "do whatever map program you want' so I integrated G Maps and we had to redo it (ooops) because we were using it behind a firewall. Yep, one of my bigger mistakes I'd say but not as bad as sending thousands of emails to the same customers BIG OOPS.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
30 of 249

@Stefan C wrote:

Stefan,

That's both a lot of suppositions and an extraordinary waste of resources if true. Upwork is unprofitable, and barely seems able to keep the site running. I do not see the investor-dominated and hands-on board of directors throwing money at reinventing geolocation remapping the US, let alone the globe.

Best,

Michael

Edited to add: Please also note Valeria's subsequent invocation of Google.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS