cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map of Location on Profile ... New Feature?

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
31 of 249

Slow clap for inadvertently perpetuating the US's generally dismal grasp of geography. Look, everybody! Brooklyn, NY is actually located in Connecticut. 

download (10).jpeg

Community Leader
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
32 of 249

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Stefan,

That's both a lot of suppositions and an extraordinary waste of resources if true. Upwork is unprofitable, and barely seems able to keep the site running. I do not see the investor-dominated and hands-on board of directors throwing money at reinventing geolocation remapping the US, let alone the globe.

Best,

Michael

Edited to add: Please also note Valeria's subsequent invocation of Google.

No suppositions there, Michael.

The maps displayed on US profiles are not provided by Google. One way to figure that out is to look for the copyright notice (missing) - that’s required on all Google Maps.

They are not reinventing geolocation, or remapping the US, it’s a bit simpler than that. Upwork’s approach (considering their product expectations/scale they’re using it at) might actually be cheaper to develop vs paying Google for their maps. It’s not a waste of resources, it's the opposite.

As far as Valeria's invocation of Google goes - she’s referring to the address autocomplete/geocoding thing (not the actual maps), which is indeed ”powered by Google”.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
33 of 249

@Stefan C wrote:

....The maps displayed on US profiles are not provided by Google. One way to figure that out is to look for the copyright notice (missing) - that’s required on all Google Maps.

They are not reinventing geolocation, or remapping the US, it’s a bit simpler than that. Upwork’s approach (considering their product expectations/scale they’re using it at) might actually be cheaper to develop vs paying Google for their maps. It’s not a waste of resources, it's the opposite.

As far as Valeria's invocation of Google goes - she’s referring to the address autocomplete/geocoding thing (not the actual maps), which is indeed ”powered by Google”.

Stefan,

Thanks for the gracious and informative response. I bow to your expertise. I see how I was "supposing" that the use of one Google service implied the use of another.

And given the anomalies others have reported here, I can readily see how Upwork might have decided neither to use Google for its maps nor create its own, but perhaps acquire them from Acme.com.

Best,

Michael

acme-wile-e1445253744186.jpg

wileecoyote-plangif-91802ff6946af499.gif

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
34 of 249

Hi all,

I can confirm this is a new feature we implemented yesterday, displaying a map on profiles of freelancers located in the US. I'll share the reported location mismatch with our team and we'll follow up with more information soon, thank you for sharing your feedback. 

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
35 of 249

Vlad, so what is/are the specific reason/reasons for this new feature?

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
36 of 249

@Pat M wrote:

Don't hold your breath. and...HI!

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
37 of 249

Pat M.

Pandora

@Pat M wrote:

Don't hold your breath. and...HI!

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Woman Wink  Hey Lady!

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
38 of 249

Vlad,

I submitted Support ticket 16 hours ago with no response. 

This error is embarrassing to Upwork and to me.

It tells Clients reviewing my Profile that I don't where I am.Smiley Mad

I just checked my Profile account setting and my address and Zip code are precisely correct.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
39 of 249

Joseph,

Could you please go to your Settings> Contact Info, click "Edit" next to your location and update your address by starting to type it here:

Screenshot_22.png

Right now the format your address is entered is incorrect - the name of the city and the state are saved in the same field. Once you update it, it should correct the issue but let us know if it persists.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
40 of 249

Valeria,

Thank you.

I corrected the entry of my address as you advised.

Checked Profile.

Now the map shows me in Morgantown, PA(?)!

Closer than Washington DC but still over 1,000 miles away!

The Zip has always been correct at 77339.  Clearly in Texas, just north of Houston.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS