cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map of Location on Profile ... New Feature?

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
41 of 249

Joseph, I'm sorry but your comments have me in hysterics.  How can PA possibly be TX? Betsy hasn't been running the ed. dept. that long ...

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
42 of 249

Sorry - Upwork now has me in Morgantown, WEST VIRGINIA, not PA.

Even further than PA.

As Valeria suggested, I edited my account info and made sure now that the address is correct, including ZIP.

Maybe, until this is fixed,  I may have to put in all my Proposals that I am not dumb enough to think that Kingwood, TX, is in either DC or West Va.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
43 of 249

@Joseph C wrote:

Valeria,

Thank you.

I corrected the entry of my address as you advised.

Checked Profile.

Now the map shows me in Morgantown, PA(?)!

Closer than Washington DC but still over 1,000 miles away!

The Zip has always been correct at 77339.  Clearly in Texas, just north of Houston.

I think they are going by your IP, and you can have an exit point that is miles away from your house. Like for me (I didn't look at my map) I would bet they have it the next town over, which is not where I'm actually located.

Also, you can get your own assigned IP range as an LIR and put any address you want in the RIPE database. This is what some shady VPN people do. They have some physical server located in one of the STAN countries and then put a US address in the RIPE database. So when you go to something like whatismyip.com or like Upwork tries to do a lookup on your address, they get a US address but the physical location is in another country.

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
44 of 249

Jennifer,

Thanks.  I used the site you provided and checked my IP address - it is Tyler, Texas - about 200 miles from my home office but at least it is in Texas - Not DC or West Virginia (1,306 miles from here).

So that's not the answer.

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
45 of 249

@Joseph C wrote:

Jennifer,

Thanks.  I used the site you provided and checked my IP address - it is Tyler, Texas - about 200 miles from my home office but at least it is in Texas - Not DC or West Virginia (1,306 miles from here).

So that's not the answer.

Joe

It's funny that a random site gets your location a little better though and they don't even have your address. xD

I should probably look at my map in my profile. I wonder if people will think we're lying about our location.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
46 of 249

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi all,

I can confirm this is a new feature we implemented yesterday, displaying a map on profiles of freelancers located in the US. I'll share the reported location mismatch with our team and we'll follow up with more information soon, thank you for sharing your feedback. 

UGH. I would really like to be able to opt out. If clients care that much about my physical location, they can go look up a Google map on their own. What is the point of this?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
47 of 249

All,

We'll be updating this thread with more information about this feature shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
48 of 249

Isabelle, that is most certainly NOT where Encino is. Encino is in the LA valley and the Pacific Ocean is to the west.  Or perhaps U has miraculously managed to flood the dry river gulch to the east of Encino.

Another ooops on U's part.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
49 of 249

@Wendy, lol I'd have no idea.

I was trying to figure out if a potential client is a cheapskate by looking at their past hires, and came across this new feature on a random profile.

I think Upwork needs to spend its resources on more important things, but then again, maybe I'm a little jealous that I don't get a map!

*Edited to add: this also seems like another step to alienate or even discredit non-US freelancers Smiley Sad

Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
50 of 249

You can have mine. I'll even file a ticket requesting it be gift wrapped.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS