cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map of Location on Profile ... New Feature?

Highlighted
Isha R Member Since: Nov 7, 2017
51 of 249

HI Everybody , how can I show a map of columbus on my profile, I really like the feature and want to enable it. Please help. Thanks, Isha

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
52 of 249

I'm glad you like the feature, Isha.

Could you please go to your Settings> Contact Info and update your location information by typing your address in the "Start typing your address" field and selecting it from the drop down? It should auto-fill all the information correctly.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
53 of 249

Hi All,

I'd like to confirm that your location may be displayed incorrectly on the map for two reasons:

1. Your address isn't entered in the proper format. Your location will then show as default "Washington D.C." Go to your Settings> Contact Info> Location and update it.

2. Due to a technical issue that's currently being investigated by the team. A fix should be released as soon as possible.

Sorry about the confusion this has caused you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
54 of 249

I hate anything that tracks or visually shows where I am online, and find this map that shows (oddly enough) more or less where I am to be intrusive. None of my US clients care where I am. (Though some who are friendly ask about our "mile high features".

I hope this "feature" dies and drops into a dark abyss.

I am totally  "against" this purely cosmetic update, from a "I feel invaded" kind of way. And it takes a lot for me to feel that. Bring on that video verification, I dare you!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
55 of 249

Pandora posted:

I hate anything that tracks or visually shows where I am online, and find this map that shows (oddly enough) more or less where I am to be intrusive. None of my US clients care where I am. (Though some who are friendly ask about our "mile high features".

I hope this "feature" dies and drops into a dark abyss.

I am totally  "against" this purely cosmetic update, from a "I feel invaded" kind of way. And it takes a lot for me to feel that. Bring on that video verification, I dare you!

______________________________________________________________________________________________

AMEN, SISTER!!! 

Some may find this interesting.  I chose long ago for my Profile to state my location as Central U.S. which is accurate.  I mainly did that because I tend to be a private person and attempt to continue to protect my right to that as much as possible in today's "big brother is watching" world. 

The stupid map on my Profile states Central, IL as my location which is also accurate.  However, I chose Central U.S. to be stated on my Profile; NOT Central, IL.  Also, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever where the stupid map is showing I live as I'm not familiar with any of the locations on the stupid map.  Oh, have I shared that I think they're stupid maps; thus a stupid idea? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
56 of 249

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

I'd like to confirm that your location may be displayed incorrectly on the map for two reasons:

1. Your address isn't entered in the proper format. Your location will then show as default "Washington D.C." Go to your Settings> Contact Info> Location and update it.

2. Due to a technical issue that's currently being investigated by the team. A fix should be released as soon as possible.

Sorry about the confusion this has caused you.

How about just turning the stupid thing off? What is the point of this feature? Why were we not informed BEFORE it went into effect? Why can't we OPT OUT?!

Highlighted
Community Leader
Jared K Member Since: Dec 12, 2015
57 of 249

I don't think this feature is a big deal and for those of you who are concerned Upwork is "tracking" you, the map doesn't appear to give any more information than what is already stated in your profile - it lists the city and state.

If you don't want to be "tracked" then you'll have to give up your smart phones and Onstar gps on your car. Upwork should be the least of your worries.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
58 of 249

The map shows me as living in Tempe, Arizona.

Even though I'm in a New York State of mind, and I left my heart in San Francisco.

But to be precise, although Chicago is my kind of town, I would feel most safe and warm if I was in L.A.

...so I don't think the map on my page is accurate at all.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
59 of 249

@Preston H wrote:

Even though I'm in a New York State of mind, and I left my heart in San Francisco.

But to be precise, although Chicago is my kind of town, I would feel most safe and warm if I was in L.A.

From Billy Joel to The Mamas & The Papas. Well done.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jody P Member Since: Aug 1, 2017
60 of 249
My Kind of Town - Frank Sinatra
@Preston H wrote:

That's all it took, now I've gone and recycled all of my Sinatra playlists.

As soon as I read 'Chicago is my kind of town', it was over with -- Sinatra until midnight or beyond.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS