cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map of Location on Profile ... New Feature?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
61 of 249

@Jared K wrote:

I don't think this feature is a big deal and for those of you who are concerned Upwork is "tracking" you, the map doesn't appear to give any more information than what is already stated in your profile - it lists the city and state.

If you don't want to be "tracked" then you'll have to give up your smart phones and Onstar gps on your car. Upwork should be the least of your worries.

I don't own a gps trackable phone. I don't own a car. I don't use Facebook. I have a crazy anti cookie and ad plug config in my primary browser. I deny every gawd **bleep** "can we track your location" request on websites.

I suppose this reads like I am some major conspiracy nut, but that would not be at all true..mostly.

My issue is that a visual is worth a 1,000 words, and while "people" may glance at the text on my profile that shows city and state, that map is going to be eye catcher, because it's visual.

I'm uncomforable having a location visual avaible to EVERYONE on Upwork, and not ALL of those people are who they say they are. Heck, maybe I even have some personal reasons for not wanting to wave my ass out in the wind.

THAT is my point.

Edit: Clarity, typos, readability. Also, right now my Profile is set to Private. Yep, that's right.

Going to re-visit this in 2-3 days, after I re-read the profile privacy setting page on Upworkwork again.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
62 of 249

Elements are really giving you US people a tough time.

You have floodings, hurricanes and now massive landslides that are moving towns all over the map.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
63 of 249

Rene K. posted:

Elements are really giving you US people a tough time.

You have floodings, hurricanes and now massive landslides that are moving towns all over the map.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

We also have tornadoes and wild fires and the threat of nuclear war with North Korea...

If ever there was a time to seriously consider becoming an exPat, the time may be now.  Perhaps I should practice my French or we should learn Italian since that's hubby Bill's heritage.  

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
64 of 249

Hi all,

Following up on  the questions and concerns raised in this thread, please note that the map some of you are seeing on your profile is simply a visual representation of your city and state, and does not reflect the exact address on your account. We did this to help clients quickly scan and process all the information on your profile. Some clients may not be familiar with your city, and providing a map can help them put your location into context. Although we didn’t add any new information to your profile page, we hope this map will encourage clients to feel more engaged as they consider you for their projects.

Highlighted
Community Guru
65 of 249

@Vladimir G wrote:

Some clients may not be familiar with your city, and providing a map can help them put your location into context. 

It's a good idea. They way you did it unfortunately misses this goal. As I said, the area covered by the maps is too small. It doesn't help unless someone is living near a major city (and even then, you know, geography).

What could have helped more is a US map with a pin on it. That would provide a better overview about the person's location in the country.

What is the goal here, Vlad? What is the goal of showing a freelancer's location on a map? What benefit this may bring to clients? The only two ones that I can think of are time zone for easier communication and location for location*specific jobs.

A general US map would have covered this.

-----------
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
66 of 249

Rene,

As Vladimir explained we hope the map will encourage the client to feel more engaged and establish a more personal connection as they view freelancer profiles. This is also a part of real-time address validation process that we have been rolling out in the past few months. When users start typing their address, a validated address (powered by Google) automatically populates. The map displayed on the freelancer profile relies on this address validation.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
67 of 249

@Valeria K wrote:

(...) the map will encourage the client to feel more engaged and establish a more personal connection as they view freelancer profiles. 

I understand. In this case I still think that the map's area may sometimes be a kinda too small, especially in rural areas, to provide a useful information.

Maybe it should be zoomable. That would be cool.

-----------
Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
68 of 249

From a privacy perspective, your city is already shown (although admittedly not state) so really anyone can use that to see a map. So I am not seeing this as causing a serious privacy issue. 

The map itself should be clickable. If this is Google then just have the click take them to the Google map where they can zoom and pan as they want. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
69 of 249

@Valeria K wrote:

Rene,

As Vladimir explained we hope the map will encourage the client to feel more engaged and establish a more personal connection as they view freelancer profiles. This is also a part of real-time address validation process that we have been rolling out in the past few months. When users start typing their address, a validated address (powered by Google) automatically populates. The map displayed on the freelancer profile relies on this address validation.

A map is not a "personal connection." And no one asked or informed freelancers before this was rolled out. It's dumb. Turn it off.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
70 of 249

Thank you for your feedback, Jess. Unfortunately, there is no way to disable the map on your profile. However, know that we have not added any new information to your profile - the map is simply a visual representation of your city and state and does not reflect your exact address. We did this to help clients quickly scan and process all the information on your profile.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS