cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map of Location on Profile ... New Feature?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
71 of 249

@Valeria K wrote:

Thank you for your feedback, Jess. Unfortunately, there is no way to disable the map on your profile. However, know that we have not added any new information to your profile - the map is simply a visual representation of your city and state and does not reflect your exact address. We did this to help clients quickly scan and process all the information on your profile.

You did add new information to my profle - the map itself is new information.

No one has answered the basic question: why is a freelancer's physical location on a map important in any way?

Did you bother to ask clients what they're actually looking for on a freelancer's profile? In my experience, it's work history and portfolio items. But the portfolio remains buried at the bottom of the page, where many clients don't even bother to scroll, and we have no control over how many items are readily visible.

But now clients can "quickly scan and process" where I live. Great. Like they cared in the first place.

This is a useless feature that no one asked for. The LEAST you all could have done is tell us it was happening, and allow us to opt out.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
72 of 249

Valeria,

" the map is simply a visual representation of your city and state "

NOT!

It is 1,306 miles away./

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
73 of 249

Sorry about the delayed response, Joseph. The issue has already been escalated and our engineers are working to fix it. We'll also make sure you are updated via the ticket.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
74 of 249

Valeria,

Thanks.

I just fixed it myself.

For some reason, my valid address City, Kingwood,TX is not on the "List" although it is my legal address.

I can enter Kingwood, TX, with my street name and number and Google Earth correctly zooms to my actual address and street.

Humble, TX, is on the "List" - although a different County and about 3 miles away. But I can get US mail addressed to that city.

So now the map is correct.

I am still of the opinion that the Map is useless and adds absolutely nothing to benefit the Freelancer, Client or Upwork.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
75 of 249

@Valeria K wrote:

Rene,

As Vladimir explained we hope the map will encourage the client to feel more engaged and establish a more personal connection as they view freelancer profiles. This is also a part of real-time address validation process that we have been rolling out in the past few months. When users start typing their address, a validated address (powered by Google) automatically populates. The map displayed on the freelancer profile relies on this address validation.

@Valeria K wrote:

Rene,

As Vladimir explained we hope the map will encourage the client to feel more engaged and establish a more personal connection as they view freelancer profiles. This is also a part of real-time address validation process that we have been rolling out in the past few months. When users start typing their address, a validated address (powered by Google) automatically populates. The map displayed on the freelancer profile relies on this address validation.

Google maps used to be good now they are not, and relying on Google for this sort of information is a little optimistic. However, it could  be dangerous (if Google improves). Imagine if some nasty discovers exactly the road and house where a freelancer lives and has decided that because that freelancer did a duff job on his/her website,  the F/L deserves a little roughing up - or worse. Or perhaps a male client takes a fancy to an attractive female FL and decides to stalk her - or worse . . . I hope Upwork has a good lawyer for worst-case scenarios.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
76 of 249

Nichola,

Rest assured that there is no intention to display freelancers' exact location on their profiles.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
77 of 249

@Valeria K wrote:

Nichola,

Rest assured that there is no intention to display freelancers' exact location on their profiles.

I'm sorry Valeria,  but that is dangerously naive. Once a client has a location and a freelancer's full name or even just a photo, they would be dead easy to track.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
78 of 249

@Nichola L wrote:

I'm sorry Valeria,  but that is dangerously naive. Once a client has a location and a freelancer's full name or even just a photo, they would be dead easy to track.

What these new maps have to do with this? Your clients already have your full name, and your town and photo are already displayed on your profile.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
79 of 249

@Rene K wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

What these new maps have to do with this? Your clients already have your full name, and your town and photo are already displayed on your profile.

And that is quite enough information.  I don't want some nutter tracking me down to my house. Maps just make it that much easier. And I would also like to know how legal this is.

ETA: What is more, Upwork holds further details - addresses, phone numbers, bank details, identity etc. What is to stop it taking the maps further and actually pinpointing addresses? Where does privacy infringement end?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
80 of 249

@Nichola L wrote:

And that is quite enough information.  I don't want some nutter tracking me down to my house. Maps just make it that much easier. And I would also like to know how legal this is.

Legal varies from country to country but one fact is sure: these maps are totally useless for tracking you for they provide no information that a client doesn't already have.

Your clients can put your town name in Google Maps and find out where it is located. If you're in the phone book, they can find you. If you're not in the phone book and if you left no traces on the Internet, they know your name, your town and they can point your town on the map.

They can wait at the local bakery to see if you would show up to buy your daily baguette. They, however, don't need the map that is (not) on your Upwork profile for any of this.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS