🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Map on Freelancer Profiles
Page options
jordonbaade
Community Member

Map on Freelancer Profiles

Does anyone know why some people have maps of their location in their profile and others don't?  I've reached out to support but the ticket has been open for a few days now, just curious if anyone's asked this before and gotten an answer or just knows?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jordon,

Could you please check again? We refreshed your profile and the map should be showing now. It's showing when I view your profile.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
pssplwaseem
Community Member

It is only for the USA freelancer if you are in The USA just update your address by selecting the dropdown 

The maps thing is funny.

Here is mine. Apparently I live on the Gila River Indian Reservation.

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 7.38.33 AM.png

(I never knew that.)

I'm not sure why these maps are there. Are clients making hiring decisions based on these?

Haha, I have no idea, but it does give a vague sense of warm fuzzies that backs up claims of where you're from... maybe?  

Also, I do live in the US and my ID has been verified so...

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Jordon and others,

We implemented real-time address validation for freelancers in the U.S. When users in the U.S. start typing their address, a validated address (powered by Google) automatically populates. The map displayed on the freelancer profile relies on this address validation. While this validation isn't currently available in locations outside of the U.S., we may consider implementing it in the future.

The map is simply a visual representation of your city and state and does not reflect the exact address on your account. We did this to help clients quickly scan and process all the information on your profile. Some clients may not be familiar with your city, and providing a map can help them put your location into context.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Jordon and others,

We implemented real-time address validation for freelancers in the U.S. When users in the U.S. start typing their address, a validated address (powered by Google) automatically populates. The map displayed on the freelancer profile relies on this address validation. While this validation isn't currently available in locations outside of the U.S., we may consider implementing it in the future.

The map is simply a visual representation of your city and state and does not reflect the exact address on your account. We did this to help clients quickly scan and process all the information on your profile. Some clients may not be familiar with your city, and providing a map can help them put your location into context.

Then why doesn't my profile have a map?

Jordon,

You may have added your addresses before the validation was implemented and it couldn't be validated by the new system. Could you please try updating your address in Settings> Contact Info by typing it into the filed on the screenshot below and selecting it from the drop down that will appear?

Screenshot_2.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Yes, I'm guessing that's it.  I'm unsure however why I've had a support ticket sitting open for many days for something as simple as 'you didn't fill out this field we added after you created your account.'

Thank you for you help.

This wasn't actually the reason.

Still have no map.

Hi Jordon,

Could you please check again? We refreshed your profile and the map should be showing now. It's showing when I view your profile.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

Jordon and others,

Why would that be important?

If it is, how hard is it to paste name of a country/city into Google and get all the information about that place?

To help clients? Sounds like a silly thing to brag about. I must be missing something here.

I agree with Antun.

Why do I need clients to have private information about myself?

Where I live is inconsequential to remote work.

Upwork verifies me and my identity and my tax information and my work.

Clients substantiate whether I am reliable.

My record on timing to reply and communicate are also on record in Upwork.

So, I still do not see the benefit my private residence being shown on this site.

Respectfully,

stillj

Hi,

I'm living in the UK and I have a map on my profile.

However, being female, I am uncomfortable with giving out directions to my home.

The map is accurate too.

Please, how may I remove the map?

Thanks.

js

petra_r
Community Member

Janet S wrote:

I'm living in the UK and I have a map on my profile.

However, being female, I am uncomfortable with giving out directions to my home.

It doesn't give directions to your home or your address, only the town, as confirmed by Upwork's Valeria K: "The map is simply a visual representation of your city and state and does not reflect the exact address on your account."

Your town is visible on your public profile anyway.

stillj
Community Member

Hi Petra R.

Thanks for your reply.

My town is visible on my public profile?

because really that is not safe either. We only have 11,000 people in town.

Folks are super easy to locate, especially because this is a sweet

and friendly town. Think of hobbits in the shire. We are a lot like that here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a female here who is a survivor of physical and sexual attacks.

And not something I usually like to say or talk about in public.

However, the issue of safety for those of us that are more vulnerable to attack

by disturbed people is, unfortunately, an issue that needs awareness.

The reason I work remote is: to be away from public situations.

Can you direct me to what area of support in the team is overseeing this aspect

of the profile design? Thanks. I would be greatly appreciative for your kind assistance.

Respectfully,

Janet S

Hi Janet,

I shared your concern with the team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you, Aleksandar.

I sisncerely appreciate your kind assistance on this matter.

Respectfully,

Janet

Thank you sincerely for thoughtful message.
I will keep an eye out for the communication.
-- Respectfully,
Janet **Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Janet S wrote:

Yes, your town is visible on your public profile. Everyone's is.

Janet S wrote:

Hi Petra R.

because really that is not safe either.

I am terribly sorry you experienced bad things happening to you and I understand that for people who have not experienced trauma like that it's hard to fully understand your concern.

Janet S wrote:

of the profile design?

Let me flag your post so a moderator can put your suggestion to the appropriate people, but I wouldn't expect the fact that city/town are shown on your profile to change.

You could set your profile to "private", that would mean that only clients you apply to and you work with can see the town on your profile. That would mitigate the exposure.

tlbp
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Janet S wrote:

Hi Petra R.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, your town is visible on your public profile. Everyone's is.

Janet S wrote:

Hi Petra R.

Thanks for your reply.

because really that is not safe either.

I am terribly sorry you experienced bad things happening to you and I understand that for people who have not experienced trauma like that it's hard to fully understand your concern.

Janet S wrote:

of the profile design?

Let me flag your post so a moderator can put your suggestion to the appropriate people, but I wouldn't expect the fact that city/town are shown on your profile to change.

You could set your profile to "private", that would mean that only clients you apply to and you work with can see the town on your profile. That would mitigate the exposure.

Petra, I'm not familiar with VAT and invoices, what information is disclosed to clients once you have a contract and have received payment?

petra_r
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

Petra, I'm not familiar with VAT and invoices, what information is disclosed to clients once you have a contract and have received payment?

Depends on what/whether they completed the address under their tax info.

Address.png

stillj
Community Member

Thank you, Petra.

I sincerely appreciate your assistance.

Respectfully,

stillj

hamzanawaz1995
Community Member

Hi,

map not showing in my profile i already clear all cookies. how can i fix this issue?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths