cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marked as spam - what would you do?

Francesca B Member Since: Jan 17, 2014
1 of 10
Hello all. This happened to me today for the first time and I would like the input from all of you more experienced oDeskers, please. Yesterday I gave a quote for a translation job. It looked interesting except for its risible budget so I sent my application. I know I should have just ignored it, given the budget, but I took my chances, asking circa 4-5 times as much. And I should have known better, but I added something along the line of "a professional translation cannot be done with your budget. For that, all I can do is run the text through GTranslate, but you can do that on your own for free". Of course, the client did not understand my sarcasm and today I got the message that my application was declined. "Reason: Spam application - obvious qualifications mismatch" (My qualifications matched the requirements perfectly, it was more of a "obvious budget mismatch".) Now, my question is, this (i.e. being marked as spam) will reflect badly on my profile and ranking, right? (Do correct me if I'm wrong, please. I still don't know many things about oDesk) Would you bring the matter to the attention of Support and try and remove the spam notice, or not? Thank you for any comment. Francesca
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 10
Hi Francesca, I don't think he really meant that your qualifications don't match. I think he just wanted to mark your application as spam and that was the closest/ most relevant option. I think you should contact customer support and explain your side of the story.
3 of 10
Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it. I'll contact support. I hope they will be able to explain whether or not this has any effect on my ranking, too -- I find it hard to come by clear information on the inner workings of oDesk, but maybe it's just me looking in the wrong places.
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 10
I would really like to see some feedback from oDesk regarding the original question: "....being marked as spam...will [it] reflect badly on my profile and ranking...." More specifically, are things of this nature (i.e., application being marked as spam) part of the metrics that determine whether or not and where a freelancer will appear in clients' searches for freelancers? Does it affect how the freelancer's applications will appear for clients' review; is it dumped in the "hidden" folder? Where can clients and freelancers find a comprehensive list of the metrics used to drive results here on oDesk; to fend of the oDesk "mad robots."
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 10
Hi Francesca, I have checked with our Team and they confirmed that being flagged does not affect a freelancer's chance of being hired. However, if a freelancer demonstrates an inappropriate pattern of behavior, actions will be taken against them.
~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
6 of 10
Thanks for that, Valeria. I wasn't sure what happens to profiles that have been flagged.
Ace Contributor
Nicole H Member Since: Nov 15, 2007
7 of 10
[quote=Francesca Bernardis]Of course, the client did not understand my sarcasm and today I got the message that my application was declined. "Reason: Spam application - obvious qualifications mismatch" [/quote] I'd say the client completely understood your sarcasm and realized that you weren't suited for the job because you really weren't interested in the job, but just wanted to be a jerk. That you admit that you were being sarcastic is proof you were just spamming the client because no real applicant would act like you did.
8 of 10
Just in case anyone is interested, Support did confirm what Valeria has written here: they have checked my account and it was not affected by the flagging in any way. That was a big relief. @ Nicole: not at all. I was indeed interested in the job and my offer was honest. There is usually no way to tell from the job post whether a low budget is because the client has no money, because they just don't want to pay, or because they honestly have no idea about how much a professional translation can cost, so it does no harm to try and educate them. That I vary my approach does not mean that I am spamming. (Thanks for the name-calling, anyway. That was completely unnecessary.)
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
9 of 10
[quote=Francesca Bernardis] Of course, the client did not understand my sarcasm[/quote] If you were really interested in the job, you would not have been sarcastic. There are clients who really don't understand how much a professional job is worth. You can explain, nicely, how much they should expect to pay and what value they could get by paying a higher rate. Usually, when people want jobs, they try to establish a pleasant relationship with the client or employer.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 10
Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm closing further replies on this thread and have removed a series of comments for violating the oDesk Community Values. We ask that you be considerate of our guidelines in future posting.
~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS