cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marketing Effectiveness update July 2015

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
1 of 11

Hi. Any of you guys see improvements in your stats? Two months after UpWork, I guess I'm fairing on the positive side as prior to getting my profile fixed (read: warned) and the connects implementation, my stats weren't exactly nice to look at.

This is all a surprise to me, actually, as I never really cared much about the stats until I saw it again today. In fact, here's my previous chart last May 16.

original.jpg

And here is my latest chart as of today.

Market stats.png

Hopefully I get better results by August. How about you guys? How are you doing in your category? 

P.S. as much as I don't want to waste connects, I often use it all up a few days before they expire so pardon my multiple applications.

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 11

My profile was discovered (54 times last month) that's  an improvement of 140% but still no new hires for me!  Its still a ghost town on Upwork after 3 months of no hires on Upwork for video editing side anyway!

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
3 of 11

@Robert James R wrote:

P.S. as much as I don't want to waste connects, I often use it all up a few days before they expire so pardon my multiple applications.

Using up the connects, suggest applying for job you normally would not have. That is actually not helping the statistics, since you probably will not be viewed for those jobs. So by using up the connects in "that" way you are actually hurting your stats.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
4 of 11

Oh no worries about that. I often apply within my range of job skills. 

My main focus would be writing for health and fitness websites and my 2nd option would be editing and proofreading. I often use up like 20 connects on editing and proofreading jobs since health and fitness jobs are hard to come by.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 11

Hi Robert James,

Thank you for sharing the improvements with us. I am glad to hear that updating your profile has helped you with being discovered by potential clients more.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
6 of 11
Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm, but based on the graph you were viewed 11 times in a month. And on top of that you were just shy of the average ~ 12 times per month.

For a freelancer with 100% JS, near 1000 hours and actively applying to jobs - it is extremely poor. And in no way I am saying this is your fault.

But to have a "makeover" improve your figures from 10 views/month to 11/month it is useless to say the least. An on top of that it resulted in no more jobs.

The tipping point is that Upwork deliberately counts ALL views, regardless if it is freelancer or client. So effectively there was no change. I just viewed your profile, so now its +1 for this week.

What a farce.
Community Guru
7 of 11

Your explanation is clear and all but I just have to know how you found out the exact number of average views?

The line graph is based on a monthly period while the bar graph is based on a 3 month analysis.

It's possible that I got a lot of views before UpWork happened and the system is still counting that.

P.S. I forgot when UpWork was born. Was it April or May? o-o

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
8 of 11

@Robert James R wrote:

P.S. I forgot when UpWork was born. Was it April or May? o-o

Cinco de Mayo. May 5th.

Community Guru
9 of 11

I would also like to know how you surmised me not getting any jobs. Because I actually got to work with 3 good clients last month and they're pretty active.

I'm sure the stats are just there for a contractor to see how they fare. And I do hope they are private. I'm not sure how it's supposed to improve my hiring rate. Unless what you mean is how the profile thing didn't work but you may have a point there too.

I remember shortly after displaying the first graph, I took Preston's advice on how clients see applications. I used to have like a generic cover letter but I improved it by getting to the point in the first line instead of the usual intros of which my "display" won't be seen until 5 or so spaces later. Perhaps it was actually Preston who helped me get more views...

P.S. Let's also not exempt the fact that the Writing category is rife with $5/hr rates so yeah, I understand why I'm not often hired LOL

Community Guru
10 of 11

I could go through the math, but honestly it would take too much effort ia this medium.

The most salient point to know is that ALL views are counted, hence you would not and cannot know if you had more client views. Just the fact you are posting more here means you will have more views from us community members.

Everyone can know when you were hired, how much money you made, and for how long. It is displayed in your job history.

The bar chart from May and the current bar chart shows the same "you were hired" value. Therefore you are not doing better compared to your peers even though you were "made over."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS