Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maternity Leave and Top Rated PLUS Status

sitehive
Svitlana G Member Since: Feb 18, 2019
1 of 33

Hi Everyone,

Is there a chance that Upwork has/considers an option for temporary freeze of profile stats/badge for all the women going on maternity leave? I've read a few other similar topics, and since they talk about the regular Top Rated status, it's easy to dismiss the women's concerns about what they earned with hard work with arguments that if the profile is not active and the latest feedbacks are good, the Top Rated badge will remain.

In the case with Top Rated PLUS, we can be sure that it won't remain, because it requires 10k+ earnings in the last 12 months. And there is no way to keep that up on maternity leave. I've been on Upwork for 2+ years now, and it took me pretty much ALL that time to get from 0 to the Top Rated Plus badge, that I received right before the end of 2020. That also marked my 7 months pregnancy and going off work to prepare for the baby. This is rather devastating that a milestone event like maternity, not illness, or long vacations etc., are not accounted for by such a big company, and are of course very disproportionately disadvantaging women.

I understand that the Freelance market does not offer the traditional benefits and security, which are not a concern here. Status / badge freeze is neither traditional, nor providing any material benefit, like those of traditional jobs. This is a digital option, that could very well be in place.

If anyone would like to share their thoughts on this, I'd be glad to discuss.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 33

You're an independent contractor, not an employee. It's a badge. It'll come back when you come back.

sitehive
3 of 33

Thanks for your reply, I believe I addressed the employee / independent contractor comparison in a couple sentences. I’m sure the point can be debated, but it seems logical to then address it with a specific argument , rather than stating the fact, would you agree?

Instead, being an independent contractor and having a work and financial relationship with Upwork, seems like a basis to have questions and maybe unaccounted needs re the services I’m getting from the platform, including the badges. I guess Upwork was not in its current form from the moment it appeared, but went through changes, based on the community’s needs among other things. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 33

That would completely undermine the point of the badges.

sitehive
5 of 33

This is a thought I had to consider. I would agree with this to a certain extent. The extent is that expiration is only one element of the badge. So I guess, there’s no undermining it completely, to begin with. So the question is how important do you think it is, in line with others? I would look at badges as a sign of excellence in work, reliability in client-freelancer relationship, communicative skills. I’m not sure that a prominent feature of these is an expiration date. And if so, would you throw out your high school and college diploma at a certain age? That knowledge and skills expiration is more likely than of the practical skills we have now, let’s be honest.

I think that a valuable feature of badges’ expiration is that it ensures that the freelancers that are highlighted for the clients, are actually active,  open for work, consistent in their results. So if I removed myself from active profiles and reappeared when I’m back at that level, what would that undermine? If I engage with clients and I’m not able to take on enough work / provide quality, I’d lose the badge, and that’s fair and encrypted in the system.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 33

Svitlana G wrote:

In the case with Top Rated PLUS, we can be sure that it won't remain, because it requires 10k+ earnings in the last 12 months.

Edited for clarity. There is no "in the last 12 months" requirement attached to the amount earned on one large contract, only that you have an open contract that has earned the required amount, and that you have worked on it (no matter how little) within the last 12 months. So as long as you don't close the large contract in question, you can pick back up when you return from maternity leave and your Top Rated Plus status will return once you are active again. If you have occasional activity during your leave, it may not even go away in the first place.

So the point is moot anyway. (Edited to add: Unless you fall below the 12 months earning barrier)

namita_shakya
Ace Contributor
Namita S Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
7 of 33
Hi Petra,
That's not true!
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Over$10k earned in the past 12 months is actually a requirement for top rated plus.

petra_r
Community Guru
8 of 33

Namita S wrote:
Hi Petra,
That's not true!

It is true but I was talking about the contract itself, rather than the 12 month earnings.

Namita S wrote:
Over$10k earned in the past 12 months is actually a requirement for top rated plus.

It is, but not on one contract.

Please read the announcement and the Support Article

criteria.png

I think there are two requirements that got confused (my fault) - the overall 12 month earnings which is what you are (and possibly the OP) talking about and the size of the contract, which is what I was talking about.

namita_shakya
Ace Contributor
Namita S Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
9 of 33
Yes, I know. Iam not saying it has to be on one contract.
Thanks!

petra_r
Community Guru
10 of 33

Namita S wrote:
Yes, I know. Iam not saying it has to be on one contract.
Thanks!

Yes, I clarified my post - thanks for pointing it out Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS