🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Media files downloaded on phone via upwor...
Page options
tusharkap99
Community Member

Media files downloaded on phone via upwork app

Where are the downloaded media files from upwork mobile app stored ?
I use an android phone. I cannot see my files in downloads. Please suggest.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi all,
We have recently released an update for this process. Currently when Android users download files from the mobile apps, we'll save those files in the download folder where they can be easily accessed.
Note:
  • this is available on the latest version of Upwork Mobile App.
  • the downloaded file will appear in Downloads only if it's saved using "Save As" from three-dots menu in the top toolbar. If the the file was previewed in the app, or opened using "Open With" option, it won't appear in downloads.
~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Tushar,

Unfortunately, we don't have an option for selecting where the files to be sent once you`ve downloaded them. Usually, they are sent to the download folder but this will depend on the device/manufacturer. Once the download is completed you should have a notification at the top that you could tap on and get directed to the location of the files. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hey Goran, Thanks for the reply. 

But, once downloaded, the file is visible. What if I want to view the file again after sometime ?

I had sent my client .mp4 file (78MB). I downloaded the file once. But when I wanted to view the file again, I coul'nt find the file. I had to download the file again 😕

Now my phone memory has 156MB of data that I cannot access. 

Hi Tushar,

As Goran noted, that may be different on different devices and individual settings. Typically, there is an option to search My Files or Downloads folder on Android devices. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Okay, Thanks!

Even after I search for it by name i still can't find the file and I have to keep re-downloading it again and again it taking up space on my phone and I can't even find it to delete it, you guys have to find a way to fix that issue, some of as have limited data to be downloading it over and over

Chris, this is not an Upwork question.

Upwork can not do anything about this.

This is a question that you need to address with your device manufacturer.

Old thread: Yes
Completely untrue !! Every other app downloads to the download folder. Upwork however downloads deep into the system folders. Mine are in /data/user/0/com.android.providers.downloads
Upwork **Edited for community guidelines**, do a better job please.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Russell,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, I'll be sure to share it with our team. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

This is to confirm that this issue is an Upwork issue not device issue. At least on Android devices.

The way it happens is, clicking on any file from messages donwloads the file. And a small toast notification (from the bottom if the screen) says "open file" and the file opens correctly on clicking. However, the file does not get saved to the Downloads folder which is the default location to store files for all apps on the device.

To make matter worse, once the notification vanishes, if you want to reopen the file and click on the file, it'll start downloading it from the beginning even if it has been just just a minute since it last downloaded the same file.

Furthermore, it's not only missing from the Downloads folder, it's nowhere on the phone. Doing a system wide search by filename gives nothing.

Clearly Upwork has not put much thought or effort into downloading files from its Messages tool or other pages directly to mobile apps.

Presumably because this is not something that many users actually try to do.

Preston H wrote:

Clearly Upwork has not put much thought of effort into downloading files from its Messages tool or other pages directly to mobile apps.

True That.

Preston H wrote:

Presumably because this is not something that many users actually try to do.

Let's not presume anything. Could be an oversight. If this issue pervades entire Android ecosystem, that's a sizeable chunk of users.

I agree, this is a lazy excuse. I should be able to locate a downloaded file and forward it to my team without moving to the laptop. Please fix it, it's a huge hurdle

I agree with u having the same issue

I have the same problem: i don't find my media file on UPWORK and on my ANDROID PHONE. Please inform me

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Luca, and Michael, 

I apologize for the delay as we had to check this with another team. I can confirm that this is currently not available because the current implementation focuses on security (especially on phones that has malicious apps or rooted). The team is working on improvement to this feature to allowusers to expose the file to the system’s Downloads folder if they decided to do so.

If ever this feature gets implemented, we'll make sure to announce it here in the Community. 

~ Avery
Upwork

I have same problem. When i download file from other apps it shows me in downloads but when i download it from upwork app i cant find file. How this question is not for upwork?
I am losing clients because of this bug

This is an upwork problem not a device manufacturer problem. Every app I use when i download something through it i can find the files easily.

Fix the **bleep** problem there's no way theres only 2 people having this issue.
samwiseg
Community Member

I just want to add my voice to this feature request. For the most part I really like the mobile app on Android. But this is a really annoying "feature" that needlessly wastes time. Please fix this!

I am having the same problem. And this is my first client on Upwork. I'm supposed to use the files that the client gave me, but I can't find the files once I've downloaded them. I've searched it on 'my files' (samsung 8), and it is nowhere to be found. I thought this was going to be an easy job, but I can't do it if I don't have the files.

+1. I had to use android app while traveling. All I needed was to pass the file that the vendor provided via upwork to the dev team. And I can't, because the files are nowhere to be found after the download. Ridiculous and very frustrating.

Upd. I opened upwork via chrome mobile browser. The download went to download folder, and I was able to easily find and share it. And after spending 15 min on the mobile web version I'm not sure why upwork even released an android app. It's slower and it has less functionality.

I just wanted to post and add that this is a really annoying issue that I too would like fixed.
I use the mobile app more than the website. I have tried many methods and different file managers to find my files on Android download from the Upwork app. Then I found these posts confirming it's an issue with the app. Please fix!

I must have downloaded this file now 4 or 5 times on my phone. With no way of directly deleting it, it's a problem. If I delete all upwork cache/data will it be deleted?

Hi Kay,

One of our team members already reached out to you directly via this support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

@Aleksandar- It would be great if some rigid solution is provided for this issue. Since the day I've posted this issue.. so many people have come up and raised the same issue. It would be great if your dev team can come up with something helpful. Many people use Upwork for fetching jobs and sending proposals via their phones.

Hi,

Is there any update regarding this issue?

Thanks

I don't think anything has been updated regarding this. But, if you visit the same media link again, you will get an option to view the media, instead of downloading again.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi all,
We have recently released an update for this process. Currently when Android users download files from the mobile apps, we'll save those files in the download folder where they can be easily accessed.
Note:
  • this is available on the latest version of Upwork Mobile App.
  • the downloaded file will appear in Downloads only if it's saved using "Save As" from three-dots menu in the top toolbar. If the the file was previewed in the app, or opened using "Open With" option, it won't appear in downloads.
~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Will try this.

Thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths