🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Mediation request after 30 days
Page options
valetrevis
Community Member

Mediation request after 30 days

Dear upwork team,

How is it possible, that I get a mediation request after 30 days since the last payment from a client?

The client had enough time to review my work, released my payment and come back more than 30 days after saying the quality of my work is not good enough, in fact he is expecting much more than agreed. The only issue was that I had some problems with saving the work, and we found out a small part was missing, as soon as we realised it, I cleary agree to deliver the missing work (I already did this partially and wanted to deliver the rest in the next few days), and now I get a mediation request from upwork.

Last payment was released on the 28th July, today is the 7th September, so the 30.days dispute assistance are actually over.

Thanks for your reply.
12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork should not allow this sort of reprehensible behavior from a client.

petra_r
Community Member

Valentina T wrote:
How is it possible, that I get a mediation request after 30 days since the last payment from a client?

It's not a dispute, it's just mediation. Mediation has "no teeth" - it is entirely non-binding.

I just read that there is missing work. So the client paid for something they didn't actually get? In that case, as a priority, get the missing work to the client ASAP. If it's been a month since payment, why hasn't the client got what they've already paid for well over a month ago?

Preston H wrote:

Upwork should not allow this sort of reprehensible behavior from a client.

Reprehensible behaviour? Reprehensible as in expecting to get what they've already paid for in full you mean?

I had a problem with my laptop, client came back to me less than one week ago (one month after last payment) highlighting the problem and I already delivered big part of the work missing and planning to finish all in the next 2 days. This is my priority and was also communicated to the client.

I guess the client made a mistake trying to communicate with you for the 3 weeks your laptop was broken and should have just disputed right away. I’m sure he learned his lesson and the next freelancer won’t get the same courtesy. Neat.

Valentina T wrote:
I had a problem with my laptop, client came back to me less than one week ago (one month after last payment) highlighting the problem and I already delivered big part of the work missing and planning to finish all in the next 2 days. 

Finish it today if you can. It's paid for. It was paid for over a month ago. It shouldn't be the client's job to let you know a month after paying you that the work they paid for was not delivered in full, it was your job to check before you submitted it.

For sure I understand, this the issue is a bit more complicated but to say it short I completely agree with you and this was also communicated to the client. Despite of this, can you explain me what is the difference between mediation and dispute? This is the first time this happen to me and I'm a bit confused:-)

Valentina T wrote:
can you explain me what is the difference between mediation and dispute? 

Ultimately, the difference between mediation and dispute is that a dispute can potentially end with you returning all the money paid under the entire contract to the client, whereas mediation is only a process to find a solution. Ideally you want to complete the work you were paid for well over a month ago as quickly as you possibly can to remove the reason for the client seeking mediation, unless the client has since found further issues with the work.

Is the contract still open or is it closed?

Thank you for the explanation. Yes for sure I want to deliver it, this is not the way I want to close a business relationship, after many years of freelancing, this is the first time something like this happen to me. As I already explained I'm just surprised to get a mediation request even if the communication with the client was clear, that I'm working on delivering the work missing and he accepted.

the contract is already closed, last payment was in the 28th of July

Valentina T wrote:
the contract is already closed, last payment was in the 28th of July

You're lucky. That means your feedback won't reflect this issue.

lysis10
Community Member

I guess the same could be asked of you op. Client probably thinks you ran off with their money and didn’t deliver and you’re scamming him.

I'm not scamming anyone! The client highlighted a problem and he get my 100% cooperation to resolve it

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members