cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Members (Status)

Ace Contributor
Cathy W Member Since: May 29, 2011
1 of 10

I have been away from oDesk for a bit and have noticed some new changes.

One of the changes is this community forum message system...I need to get used to it.

The other change is an 'identifier' is now associated with oDesk freelancers; such as:  'Active Members,' and 'Power Members,' etc.  What are Power Members?

Thank you.  Smiley Happy

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
2 of 10

The titles are just something that oDesk thought up and basically mean nothing. I think it's simply based on how active you are in the forums.

People have complained about the titles, particularly since they seem to imply some official connection to oDesk.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 10

You will notice as well that several of these titled members will give disclaimers at the bottom of their messages to disassociate themselves from any offical link to oDesk.

***not a guru - just a bloke who uses the forum a lot ***

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
4 of 10

hi Cathy,

the 'rankings' are as follows:

frequent visitor ----> lurker/ninja types

active member -----> the shy type commentator

power member -----> increasingly confused member so posts at the forum for answers

ace contributor -------> someone who's near getting jaded by what he/she reads in here

community leader -----> for disgruntled members/sporadic ranters

community guru ------> masochistic forum rat types

top kudoed members -------> the voice of the people

top solutions authors --------> martyrs

featured contributor ---------> someone who has no idea why he/she became the week's forum poster boy/girl

moderator - official oDesk (Valeria, Vladimir, another guy I can't remember)

community manager - official oDesk (Lillian and Garnor)

Btw, I'm half kidding...the rankings of frequent visitor to community guru just means how active you are in the forum and is ranked by number of posts

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
5 of 10

If the Community Manager doesn't make time to create a document about this issue like he/she said she/he would, we [I] can always count on Dianne to pitch in and pick up where oDesk lost their way. More kudos for our [my] favorite guru! (The "we" thing again; we, our, etc...lol....).

And they wonder why we make fun of things around here. Go figure....

Edited 01/09/2015 RT/lwm

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 10

Cathy,

We all love Dianne, but her explanation doesn't specifically address your question in the most concise and accurate way possible.

You specifically only asked what "Power Members" are, and I can explain.

Please note that I have no official oDesk standing and my explanation here is of dubious value, at best.

"Power Members" are oDesk contractors and/or forum contributors who are distinguished from other types of members in that they possess actual physical super powers. These are defined by oDesk as being powers which are beyond the known range of normal biological human functioning.

As defined in this forum (or not), "super powers" may be magical or supernatural in nature, or they may stem from having humany/alien hybrid biology, may be a result of unexpected scientific mishaps (radioactive, chemical, or otherwise), or may be the result of a mutant genetic birthright.

If you follow the forums closely, you know that a current question which is hotly debated is whether or not oDesk contractors who do not possess innate physical super powers, but utilized esoteric, advanced technological devices to simulate innate physical super powers, should be classified as "Power Members."

Unfortunately, various oDesk representatives who have commented on the forums with regards to this question and oDesk help desk representatives contacted via support tickets have provided conflicting answers to this question, but the general consensus seems to be that exhibiting any type of super-human powers, whether based on innate physical abilities or stemming from technological devices, is likely to lead to your oDesk account being put under review.

Susan Seawolf H Member Since: Oct 2, 2013
7 of 10

I knew I was special, but really...

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
8 of 10

Hi Cathy,

Welcome back! I owe the Community here a description of the member roles we've created for the new Community. Essentially, the roles are identifiers of frequent participation in the Community. I'm going to get something posted on this next week, I apologize for the delay.

Regarding the messaging system here. The Community platform includes a messaging function that allows for communication among users and from moderators to you. It's wonky now because of the "profile" experience, i.e. how we show your oDesk profile vs. a Community profile, etc. But, we are working on fixing this and will have a better implementation of this in the next couple of months or so. 

Thanks for your patience and for (re)joining the Community!

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
9 of 10

Garnor,

as usual you've promised to make things clear in a while...

There is one thing that should be done as top priority - simply take the official oDesk titles and make sure that they look different from us superhumans' titles, with a different font, or a logo or icon, so that readers can know instantly that whether or not a poster with a title is offically linked to oDesk. That's the one thing that matters - the different gradings of the mre mortals and superhumans is but a distraction.

***not a guru - just a gurrier***  Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
10 of 10

haha Preston, you can totally work as a creative writer Smiley Tongue Stephen too! Smiley Very Happy

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS