🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Membership Billing - Payment Declined
Page options
aruldassd
Community Member

Membership Billing - Payment Declined

Hi,  I want to upgrade my membership billing from Basic  to Plus . I am trying to upgrade but its giving payment error "Your payment could not be processed. Please choose an alternate payment method or retry again later." Please guide me.  Thanks Arul

32 REPLIES 32
JoanneP

Hi Arul,

Upwork accepts the following billing methods:

Credit or Debit Card

• Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express.
  • Credit, debit, and Payoneer cards are all acceptable, as long as they have a sufficient available balance.

PayPal

• A Verified, active PayPal account in good standing. PayPal student accounts are not eligible. The PayPal verification process varies somewhat from country to country. Learn more.
  • Because PayPal as a billing method isn't available to all freelancers, the option to use PayPal will only appear in the Add Method form if it is available to you.

You can check out this help article for more information. Let us know if you need further assistance, we're here to help. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi,

I want to upgrade to Membership Plus. Can't the amount be deducted from the money I earn at Upwork? 

Thanks!

Vijayalaxmi

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vijayalaxmi,

If you have sufficient available balance, we will charge your account balance for the membership fee. Upwork accepts the following billing methods for paying memberships: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. We also accept PayPal as billing methods for membership. To learn more about this, please read this and this help articles.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi,

I have sufficient balance and I have added Paypal. But I still can't update
my membership status

If there an issue here?

Kind regards,
Vijayalaxmi
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vijayalaxmi,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you with your concern.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

I am trying to upgrade my membership to plus using my MasterCard but payment is getting declined every time I entered the card information. My card is active and also worked fine on udemy website, Please guide me to solve this problem.

Thanks

Hi Md, 

I checked your account and can confirm that the transaction was declined by your bank. Kindly check this with your bank, and add another billing method in the meantime while you are sorting this out with your bank. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks for the response, I already contacted the bank and they told me they will solve the problem as soon as possible. I will try again later with the same card when the card issue is solved. Thanks.

Hi Avery,

The bank contacted me yesterday and told me that their card will not work at Upwork website, Now can you please suggest me some payment option or Bank cards those I can try which will work at Upwork website to buy connect or activate the membership plus plan.

Thanks

Md

Hi Md,

This can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. To learn more about our accepted billing methods and how to set up one check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

I am from Bangladesh, Can you please suggest me some payment option or Bank cards from Bangladesh those I can try which will work at Upwork website to buy connect or activate the membership plus plan. I am asking you this again because if I take a credit card from a bank and the card doesn't work at Upwork website then this will be a loss for me.

Thanks

Md

Hi Md,

Unfortunately I can't advise you about this, feel free to open an account with the bank that best fits your needs. You will need to make sure that your card/account is enabled for international charges.

I hope that other freelancers from your location will see your post and advise you about some of the banks/options they are using. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I am trying to get a debit card from Bank and It'll take some time. Will debit card from Bangladeshi bank work on Upwork to buy connects/plus membership ? In the meanwhile can I use my friend's card to buy connects/plus membership because right now I have only 0 connects.

Thanks
Md Masrur Rahman Sakib

Hi MD, 

When you add a billing method to your account, the available billing methods to you will show on the screen. Billing methods vary, depending on the user's location, in this case, you may want to check which options are available to you. 

We definitely recommend that you use your own debit/credit card when setting up a billing method so that you don't go through any issues with your account. However, as long as you are able to complete the verification for the billing method, the transaction is authorized by the card owner, and you have all info needed to add in the account, this should be okay.

~ Avery
Upwork

I am trying to get a debit card from Bank and It'll take some time.

Will debit card from Bangladeshi bank work on Upwork to buy connects/plus membership ?

In the meanwhile can I use my friend's card to buy connects/plus membership because right now I have 0 connects?
adnanofpk
Community Member

I am trying with Master Card and I am not able to upgrade my account. Need help.

Hi Muhammad,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with upgrading your membership plan. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello, 

I try to get plus membership via my own Visa Debit card also my card is ready to international transaction but still my payment decline can you please help me. I need your help for solve this issue I want to plus membership on upwork please help me. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Suvo,

I'd like to clarify that some card-issuing banks will restrict the use of debit cards on Upwork due to the payments being classified as 'recurring'. Please, make sure that you are filling all the required fields correctly and that your card-issuing bank allows recurring transactions. Alternatively, you may use any other of the available billing methods.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

please help me i added my visa card in my upwork account for plus membership but everytime my payment decline i don't know why also my visa card is already active for international payment. Please solve this issue. 

I think you should contact your bank about this matter. Is the card is based on your own identity e.g on your name? Your International payment could be blocked in the back end or could be eligible for some site. I think this could be it.

Hello,

My internation payment is on and this is my own visa card. can i try another credit card which is my elder brother card ???

No, it will be declined because it will have a different name on it. You should wait a while, you will be contacted by a moderator here. Wait a while & your issue shall be resolved. 🙂

Hi Suvo,

I am sorry for the late response. I checked and could see that you already successfully upgraded your membership plan to Freelancer Plus plan. Could you please let us know if you need further assistance?

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork

HI trying to add Credit and Debit card method but still getting the same error ..please assist

Hi Yogesh,

Could you please confirm/share the text of the error you`re receiving? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

your payment could not be processed. please choose an alternate payment
method or retry again later.

Using both methods but getting same error - your payment could not be processed. please choose an alternate payment method or retry again later.

Thank you for the follow up, Yogesh,

I would suggest checking with your bank if your account is enabled for international charges or add another billing method

~ Goran
Upwork
dharmendra_gohil
Community Member

same issue

paypal and Master card both use but not update plz help

Hi Dharmendra,

Our team will reach out to you as well as soon as possible and assist you further with your membership plans. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

ok thanks
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths