🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Merge Cells - Suggestion For Hourly Contract ...
Page options
kprice777
Community Member

Merge Cells - Suggestion For Hourly Contract Feature

When recording time on an hourly contract I sometimes find there can be segments, most often at the beginning and end of a block, which are incomplete.

It would be great to have the option to merge the two segments into one.

For example, if the the first block has an activity level of 5/10 and the last shows an activity level of 5/10, to be fair to the client I would delete one of these so they are charged for 10 minutes of work, otherwise they would be charged for 20.

As things stand, as far as I'm aware, the client has no way to see I've done this so could go on to question the existence of a 5/10 block, even though I have already accounted for it.

Having the ability to update our work diary so the client can see the result of us merging cells in this way would make it easier for freelancers to represent work time accurately and help cut down on misunderstandings with clients.

Would anyone else find this feature useful?

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

@Kevin P wrote:

When recording time on an hourly contract I sometimes find there can be segments, most often at the beginning and end of a block, which are incomplete.

It would be great to have the option to merge the two segments into one.

For example, if the the first block has an activity level of 5/10 and the last shows an activity level of 5/10, to be fair to the client I would delete one of these so they are charged for 10 minutes of work, otherwise they would be charged for 20.

As things stand, as far as I'm aware, the client has no way to see I've done this so could go on to question the existence of a 5/10 block, even though I have already accounted for it.

Having the ability to update our work diary so the client can see the result of us merging cells in this way would make it easier for freelancers to represent work time accurately and help cut down on misunderstandings with clients.

Would anyone else find this feature useful?

It would not work because those are at different times and with different screenshots.

You can avoid this happening by always starting at the beginning of a time segments ( so at XX.X0 ) and finish at the end of a time segment - that way all segments are always "full".

purplepony
Community Member

Kevin, perhaps in your field you believe you're only working when your activity shows 10/10.  However, in mine and many others I can definitely state that we're working when it shows 5/10; for example---telephone conversations, reading...  The tracker does not record all work-related activity.  Therefore, I do not find what you're suggesting to be useful.

@Pat M wrote:

Kevin, perhaps in your field you believe you're only working when your activity shows 10/10.  However, in mine and many others I can definitely state that we're working when it shows 5/10; for example---telephone conversations, reading...  The tracker does not record all work-related activity.  Therefore, I do not find what you're suggesting to be useful. 

Sure!

Thing is, if you have too many segments with low activity in any given hour you lose all protection for the entire hour.

@Petra R wrote:

@Pat M wrote:

Sure!

Thing is, if you have too many segments with low activity in any given hour you lose all protection for the entire hour.

Petra, I realize that.  Mutual respect and trust between Client and Freelancer is a wonderful thing and how true professionals should operate.

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths