cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message counter says 2 new messages - where?

Highlighted
Ruth O Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
1 of 13

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me out with this.

For the last few days I've had a message alert that I have 2 new messages (see attached).

However, when I click on the counter, it takes me to my Messages, and the counter disappears.

There are no unread messages that I can see anywhere.

But then when I exit Messages, the counter reappears, alerting me to 2 new messages...

It's driving me mad! What could be causing this?!?

Thanks in advance :-)

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 13

Hi Ruth,

I understand the frustration this is causing you. Could you please try checking your Messages again and clicking on the room that shows third from the top in "Recent"? If that doesn't help, please try clearing your cache and cookies. Let me know if the counter disappears.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ruth O Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
3 of 13

Hi Valeria,

I clicked in that room, but there was no new message.

I then cleared my cookies and cache in IE and Chrome.

The notification still says 2 new messages Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
4 of 13

I'm encountering the same issue. I filed a ticket a few days back and the Support has "escalated this ticket to our Technical Team for them to review". As best as I can tell, the milestone approval messages, which used to show up in messages, no longer do, but they still affect the Unread Messages count. There's no way to "read" them on the site as they no longer appear, but they still get relayed to email.

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
5 of 13

I've been having the same "problem" (not really a problem, but somewhat annoying) for over a week. I've cleared my cache as well as clicked through the list of recent messages, but the message alert reappears every time I leave the message page.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 13

There were never these kind of problems when message threads were message threads and rooms were enclosed spaces within a building. 

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
7 of 13

I submitted a ticket 4 [FOUR] months ago for a similar reason: counter says I have 1 unread message. CS has offered me the usual It appears that your issue is more complex, and so I have escalated your issue to our Technical Support Team for further assistance. I've lost count of how many times CS told me that the issue had been solved. On November 22, I was told that they'd fix on the 1st of December...

Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
8 of 13

I did have similar problem in August or September. I usually go to 'Unread' and the two annoying messages pop up. These are usually old chat rooms, so if you want them to stop annoying you, you can leave the chat room. For some reason, the messaging system kept popping these two messages I had every day, everytime I reload the website. When the other party left the chat room, they stopped. So that may work for you too. Of course that doesn't fix the main problem, but will stop with these messages.

Screenshot 2015-12-30 14.14.13.jpg

Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
9 of 13

@Evelina Z wrote:

I did have similar problem in August or September. I usually go to 'Unread' and the two annoying messages pop up. These are usually old chat rooms, so if you want them to stop annoying you, you can leave the chat room. For some reason, the messaging system kept popping these two messages I had every day, everytime I reload the website. When the other party left the chat room, they stopped. So that may work for you too. Of course that doesn't fix the main problem, but will stop with these messages.

Screenshot 2015-12-30 14.14.13.jpg

I've had the same problem since like August. Haven't been able to fix it regardless of reporting it to CS and trying different suggestions mentioned here on the Community forum.

I've even tried Evelina's suggestion - didn't work. This is what it looks like for me (see screenshot below), but once I switch over to my job feed, that annoying little message notification icon reappears. Only disappears when I am physically looking at my messages page.

I've since given up trying to track down the rogue message and reporting the issue. I just look for the number to change now lol. Don't seem like they'll get it fixed anytime soon, so why bother?

Untitled1.jpg

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 13

Hi All,

I understand how frustrated you are with an issue that you have been experiencing for a while. I have gotten more information from our enginners and good news is the fix for this bug is ready. Not so good news is that unfortunately the fix will be released after the New Year.

We will update you as soon as we can.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS