🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Messages and other user info - still availabl...
Page options
monicaerd
Community Member

Messages and other user info - still available after account deletion?

Hi all, I would like to ask, if I delete my account, will all the messages I've had with clients get automatically deleted too? Can any of my user information linked to my account be recovered only if I personally ask for it to be recovered? And if so, how long can I ask? Can it be recovered if I ask e.g. only 1 year later? Thank you for any answers!

5 REPLIES 5
williamtcooper
Community Member

Erdody,

Bascially keep your account unless you are ready to move on. Click the "Get Support" button on the bottom of the screen for any additional assistance. Have a great day!

monicaerd
Community Member

Thank you very much for responding. I would still like specific answers to my specific questions.

NikolaS

Hi Erdody,

While in most cases it's possible to re-open an account that was in good standing and was simply closed by the owner, we cannot guarantee that the information on a closed account will be available indefinitely and recommend making backups before closing an account.

Please, refer to our Privacy Policy for more information.

~ Nikola
Upwork
monicaerd
Community Member

Hi Nikola, thank you for that. How can I do a backup or what kind of data can I backup? If I just set my profile to Private, will my messages to clients and feedbacks from clients remain? And if feedbacks are gone, will the feedbacks be also gone/deleted on the clients' own profile?

Hi Erdody, Arjay here stepping in for Nikola.

While there is no option to download messages or a copy of your profile, you can have backups by manually copying the data on your Upwork account and saving it somewhere. Also, If you set your profile visibility to private, you will still have access to your Upwork account, messages, and feedback. However, we’ll exclude your profile from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers. People who aren’t logged into Upwork won’t be able to access your profile via a direct link. People who are logged into Upwork and have access to your direct profile link will only be able to see your first name, last initial, title, photo, rate, city, and country.

Note: We truly value our users’ privacy and their rights to control their personal data. Regardless of where you call home, you may delete your account or request the deletion of all personal information we have about you at any time. However, we will only be following the requirements outlined by the GDPR for those living in the EEA. If you live elsewhere, we will be happy to delete your data to the extent we can reasonably do so.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members