cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bgranat
Active

My Messages page seems to be stuck on one conversation. I cannot receive new messages, apparently. Also, jobs that are closed still appear on my page under Proposals. I don't know what's wrong, but my Messages page is definitely not functioning correctly, so clients cannot contact me.

Can anyone help?

15 REPLIES 15
bgranat
Active

This has been going on for three days now and I am just writing today. So it's not a transient thing. I just joined the site the other day. Thanks for any help you can offer.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bonnie,

It looks like you currently have two active candidacies and both of them show on your proposal page and have interview rooms in Messages. I wasn't able to replicate the issue you are having and could switch between the two rooms. Could you please try clearing your cache and cookies and see if it helps?

Sorry about the inconvenience.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Those two are old and nothing's happening with them. I cannot see a way to archive them, and isn't there a "home" page for messages that I made it into the acknowledgments.would show messages?

Instead I see a conversation that I cannot get rid of. Both those people haven't responded in days and I want to get rid of them.

I have a feeling people can't contact me. I cannot get out of the view of the conversation with Salami. I don't think that job is going anywhere, so I want it off my screen, if possible.

Maybe I just don't understand how this works, but I can't understand seeing an old conversation when I click Messages. If I clicked an individual message, then yes, I'd see a conversation, but this is my Messages "home" page.

I'm not sure if I am making any sense.

What's a person supposed to see when they click "Messages" at the top of the screen? A conversation???

Those two are old and nothing's happening with them. I cannot see a way to archive them, and isn't there a "home" page for messages that I made it into the acknowledgments.would show messages?

Instead I see a conversation that I cannot get rid of. Both those people haven't responded in days and I want to get rid of them.

I have a feeling people can't contact me. I cannot get out of the view of the conversation with Salami. I don't think that job is going anywhere, so I want it off my screen, if possible.

Maybe I just don't understand how this works, but I can't understand seeing an old conversation when I click Messages. If I clicked an individual message, then yes, I'd see a conversation, but this is my Messages "home" page.

I'm not sure if I am making any sense.

What's a person supposed to see when they click "Messages" at the top of the screen? A conversation???

I've attached a file showing what I see when I click "Messages."

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

That's the same thing I see on my messages.  I believe that's the standard view (I haven't really played around with the functionality).

I believe that you have the option of hiding messages you no longer wish to see.  If you hover your mouse over the message, you'll see a button that allows you to do this:

messages reply.png

Why do you think you're not receiving messages?  

@Bonnie G wrote:

I don't see anything like that. All I see when I hover on the page is a quote mark icon and "Quote" in the alt text and a star over by the name. I was able to archive some proposals that were declined, but I can't seem to get rid of these items. Also, what are "rooms"?

Hover in the left hand column, not in the actual message area.

Rooms are where your messages are sorted by job.

Okay, I found where you meant, and I clicked Hide, and the names disappeared. Great. But when I click Messages at the top of the screen I get the same conversation with the person I had before. When I first joined, there was a line that said "You have no new messages." I expect to see that and not a conversation I have just hidden. What am I doing wrong now? Thanks very much for your help.

Bonnie,

If you are referring to the dropdown from the "bell" messages icon, click the "x" in the upper right corner of each message notice to delete it. Unfortunately, this doesn't always work. You can try again next time you check messages. It should work eventually.

Best,
Michael

Mona Ismail
Print and spelling
Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The above is a conversation I cannot kill. I would prefer not to see it anymore.

I've got one, too. I've killed it dozens of times and it keeps popping back up. It may have something to do with the job post being still (perpetually?) open and/or renewed.

Bonnie and Michael,

Let me check with the team if there is any known issue. We'll investigate.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Actually, there is that dotted line at the top of the screen toward the right, but it says "People" when I hover.

Bonnie,

I had to remove the screenshot you attached because it contained private communication. It looked normal to me though.

Please, note that proposals you send appear on your FInd Work Proposals page and only once the client accepts your proposal and invites you to interview, it will show in Messages. So far you have had two interviews and both of them showed in your Messages. You can hide them as Christy pointed out by hovering your mouse over the name of the client and contract on the left side and clicking on three dots that appear there.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bonnie,

We have received an explanation from the team that by design there has always to be one room in the navigation panel on the left in the Messages. Since the room you are trying to hide is the only room you currently have, it can't be hidden by design.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS