🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Mid-Contract Feedback
Page options
smartglobe
Community Member

Mid-Contract Feedback

I just read that Upwork has introduced a new feature that allows client to give a public feedback on an ongoing contract.

I believe the amount already earned on the contract will be displayed with the public feedback; right?

For the ongoing contract under Job in Progress, will the amount earned start again from zero or not?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Ilija,

Mid-Contract Feedback does not have an impact on your JSSClients will still have the option to leave feedback when a contract ends, and that feedback is factored into your JSS.

Your client can choose to proactively give mid-contract feedback or you can request feedback from your client when the contract meets these terms:

• The contract started at least 30 days ago.
  • The client has made a payment on the contract within the last 30 days.
  • The client has not provided feedback in the last 30 days.

To ask for feedback, choose Request Feedback under the Feedback tab in the contract room.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

View solution in original post

95 REPLIES 95
petra_r
Community Member

Jamiu I wrote:

I just read that Upwork has introduced a new feature that allows client to give a public feedback on an ongoing contract.

Where did you read that?

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jamiu,

Earnings on contracts on which clients leave mid-contract feedback will continue to be displayed as usual.

Petra, we are testing this option right now and it is not available to all freelancers. We hope to expand it soon!

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Petra, we are testing this option right now and it is not available to all freelancers. We hope to expand it soon!

Not shooting the messenger so I've just deleted the rant I wrote. It heavily featured sentiments expressing how I feel about being a lab-rat-freelancer yet again.

How is that fair? When Upwork "tests" new functions on some freelancers, it immediately affects them or others, for better or for worse. 

Springing all that new stuff on us, one thing after the other, secretely, silently, is not right.

It's seriously getting to the point where one logs into the account with a sense of dread as to what Upwork has done now...

What Petra said, +1000. These secret tests are getting to be out of control. And yes, they will affect other freelancers negatively. I'm scared to read the Announcement part of the forum, never sure what I will find out.

Hi Petra and Mary, 

I will be posting a thorough announcement this morning. I'm just waiting for screenshots to demonstrate the flow to you all. Although we are gradually rolling out the ability to request feedback for freelancers so at this time not all freelancers will see the button to request it, everyone will see the new feedback tab in their contract rooms, and all clients have the ability to leave mid-job feedback. I will have more details about mid-job feedback in the announcement and I will update this thread when its posted. 

-Lena

Untitled

Another 1000 kudos to Petra's comments. 

We are not lab rats - esp. because every single 'innovation' that is rolled out has defects. 

Perform rigorous BETA TESTING FIRST!

EVERY 30 DAYS?

You guys have got to be kidding

Poor, poor clients!!!

Petra this is entirely optional. Clients have the option to leave feedback when criteria is met every 30 days but this is not a required cadence and would depend on what works with you and your client and the contract in general. Just like when communicating with your client in messages, you can message your client as often as you'd like, but you decide the cadence of what is needed to properly manage the workload and correspondence with your client. 

Untitled

Lena E wrote:

Petra this is entirely optional. Clients have the option to leave feedback when criteria is met every 30 days but this is not a required cadence and would depend on what works with you and your client and the contract in general. Just like when communicating with your client in messages, you can message your client as often as you'd like, but you decide the cadence of what is needed to properly manage the workload and correspondence with your client. 

Cadence? I assume feedback doesn't have to be given in a musical form?  What does this mean? Regularity or something like that? (Though part of me hopes singing is involved.)

Wendy C wrote:

We are not lab rats - esp. because every single 'innovation' that is rolled out has defects. 

This is beta testing.  But I don't agree with how they are handling it.

And here we all thought Upwork was client-centric .....

OOOOPS -

This has the potential to cause all sorts of confusion. (Among other issues)

Some clients struggle enough as it is to understand how it works, and now they're being asked to leave feedback before a contract is even closed?

A tenner says that a lot of them will think it means the contract is being closed... by the freelancer. 

Jamie F wrote:

This has the potential to cause all sorts of confusion. (Among other issues)

Some clients struggle enough as it is to understand how it works, and now they're being asked to leave feedback before a contract is even closed?

A tenner says that a lot of them will think it means the contract is being closed... by the freelancer. 

That's up to the freelancer to manage.  This is actually something I see as potentially beneficial to me because I have very few contracts and a they tend to stretch on a bit and it makes me much more vulnerable to one of them going wonky at the end.  My answer now is to occasional bank the feedback by closing a job and reopening it.  It's very distasteful and I would much rather explain this than that.

Perhaps the OPTION - initiated by the FLer - to have mid-project review/comments from the client.  But Jaime hit the nail on the head ... clients won't understand what the heck is going on and will resent being asked to rate a project in progress.

Does NO ONE at Upwork think thru these hair-brained schemes?

Wendy C wrote:

Perhaps the OPTION - initiated by the FLer - to have mid-project review/comments from the client.  But Jaime hit the nail on the head ... clients won't understand what the heck is going on and will resent being asked to rate a project in progress.

Does NO ONE at Upwork think thru these hair-brained schemes?

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 6.09.06 PM.png
Is that a rhetorical question, Wendy? 

It was a terrible experience, as Jamie said, my client thinks that I want to close the contract.

Upwork provides this function and with an eye-catching blue dot, so I try it after my client has no contact for two weeks. I think it will have a form to write something before sending, but it just sent a request when I click, without any message.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/search?query=feedback
When I search "feedback" in Help and Support, the document about "Mid-Contract Feedback" didn't appear in the search results. Even I search "feedback without end contract" in Upwork Community, most results talking about end contract and got feedback. I know nothing about "Mid-Contract Feedback" until I Google "ask feedback before end contract upwork"

Maybe it was designed for freelancers who want feedback and clients who want to keep the contract open, but it confuse us.

Some suggestions for Mid-Contract Feedback:

1. In the place which can trigger Mid-Contract Feedback, explain it enough, link to the Mid-Contract Feedback document.
  2. Freelancer can choose to write something before sending a feedback request,
  3. The sent request mark as "requested Mid-Contract Feedback" in messages, not "requested feedback", makes it different from end-of-contract feedback.

Hi Gratia,

Thanks for your feedback. I'll share this with the team for review and consideration. In the meantime, here's the help article that contains more information about the Mid-Contract Feedback. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Mark F wrote:

Wendy C wrote:

Mark, I must disagree, despite your expertise. This is A/B testing.

Historically, and I believe still predominantly, beta testing is offered, with explanations of its intended benefits and warnings about its potential pitfalls, to willing volunteers, whether they are recruited through private or public invitation.

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Wendy C wrote:

Historically, and I believe still predominantly, beta testing is offered, with explanations of its intended benefits and warnings about its potential pitfalls, to willing volunteers, whether they are recruited through private or public invitation.

I found out where the feedback button lives. It's that throbbing blue radio button near the top of the contract page. However, there's no explanation of what it does when you hover over it.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 2.22.18 PM.png

Anyone want to press it and find out?

Renata S wrote:

Douglas Michael M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Wendy C wrote:

I found out where the feedback button lives. It's that throbbing blue radio button near the top of the contract page. However, there's no explanation of what it does when you hover over it.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 2.22.18 PM.png

Anyone want to press it and find out?

feedback.png

lenaellis
Community Member

Thanks, everyone. I posted the announcement here. Hopefully, this provides you with more detail of the flow. I included several screenshots which in turn made the post pretty long, apologies.  If you have any questions about this new feature and flow let us know!

Untitled
saad-jamal
Community Member

Hi

A client gave me a feedback on a project completed. I can see two feedback by that client on my profile.

Can you please let me know why is that so?

Why there are two feedback

Please let me know

Thank You

Regards

Saad Jamal

Because you asked for and received mid-contract feedback. 

Personally, I dislike the optics of it, it just clutters a profile, and the mid-contract feedback does not count towards (or against) JSS, so the not so great feedback only counts once. 

But this is the risk of asking for it - you have less than 5 stars appearing twice on your profile, which just doesn't look great. 

No i didnt asked for any mid contract feedback. Work was completed yesterday and client ended the contract. When she ended then i saw the two kinds of feedback. This has happened for the first time.

Can someone from upwork support time help me with this issue. What is it, how it happened and what impact it will have ?

Hi Saad,

Thank you for reaching out. Martina is correct, it seems like your client left mid-contract feedback for you. Mid-contract feedback is public and shows on your Work History. However, it does not factor into your Job Success Score. Learn more here.

~ AJ
Upwork

Ok, so the client gave you mid-contract feedback without you asking for it. Tell clients not to do that, especially when it's not great. 

IDK 

Some clients are so weird

ilijajakisa
Community Member

Hi everyone! I was wondering if receiving positive feedback while still in contract (I'm reffering to the ask for feedback option after one month) has anny effect on the JSS. Currently I have one finished project with a 5 star review and 1 on going project with a 5 star feedback. Didn't seem to affect it, as I didn't get a rising talent badge. Does that happen only after the project is done or can it be achieved through feedbacks? Thank you!

Hi Ilija,

Mid-Contract Feedback does not have an impact on your JSSClients will still have the option to leave feedback when a contract ends, and that feedback is factored into your JSS.

Your client can choose to proactively give mid-contract feedback or you can request feedback from your client when the contract meets these terms:

• The contract started at least 30 days ago.
  • The client has made a payment on the contract within the last 30 days.
  • The client has not provided feedback in the last 30 days.

To ask for feedback, choose Request Feedback under the Feedback tab in the contract room.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
fbb829fe
Community Member

Hello everyone,

a few days ago I received my first mid-contract review from a client, but the review does not appear on my profile. It is about an ongoing contract that lasts more than a year and the client left a review after I asked him to do so by email (not request by the Upwork platform). I can see this review in the messages, but it does not appear on my profile. I've read dozens of articles about this, but I haven't found a solution. Any help here?

Hi Milos,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
f060d2cf
Community Member

"This contract is not yet eligible for feedback
You will be able to leave feedback after the contract has been active for 30 days."

I have finished my work with my client but we can't end the contract. Everything is paid and all the work is sent. How do I do it?

Thanks 

To get an idea about this you can visit this answer ''This contract is not yet eligible for feedback''

Contract still running. You need to end it before. Ask client or do yourself. (...)Close contract.

I don't have that option. Neither the client. That's the issue 

yofazza
Community Member

Look here, click the job title, then click the dots. You should see an "end contract" option.

Capture.PNG

Client should have it too.

The one who ends the contract must leave a feedback. It's optional for the other party.

3c320cb5
Community Member

Hope everyone is doing well,

I asked my client for mid-contract feedback, he sent me a screenshot saying
"You do not have permission to access this action"

Please see the attached screenshot.

Can anyone please look into this issue?

Hi Ash,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Based on the screenshot you shared, it looks like the client was not logged in to the appropriate account/profile. Please note that when you choose the “Request Feedback” button, we let your client know that you’ve requested feedback by sending them an email and a message in Upwork Messages. Could you please confirm with the client if they're logged in to the correct account? If so, kindly advise them to reach out to our Support Team and we'll surely assist them accordingly.

In the meantime, you may want to review this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
3c320cb5
Community Member

Thank you for your reply. In the article, one of the terms states: 'The contract started at least 30 days ago.'

I accepted the contract on March 7th, 2023. Could this be the reason?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths