๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Milesone funded but not paid
Page options
berradma
Community Member

Milesone funded but not paid

Hello everybody,

I applied for a work. The budget was $250. I accepted the contract. I submitted the work. My client approved the work. I received Upwork's message telling that I will be paid. The first milestone of $50 was paid. And there is a remaining milestone of $200. My client told me that it's good for him and he will close the contract. Will I be paid?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cassajoy
Community Member

Yes, you will get paid. Closing the contract alone doesn't affect payment when the milestones have already been funded. The payments work on the weekly billing cycle. A client of mine was happy with my work and quickly closed the contract (to provide feedback). I saw the remaining milestone in Reports, I think under In Review (which is the 14 day period Sophie mentioned).

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
sofia2008
Community Member

If you submitted the work and the second milestone is funded, the client has 14 days to review and pay. He just had to pay the first milestone right away in order to fund the second one.

The first milestone was already paid. I'll wait until the end of the week.

If your second milestone is funded, you should see it in your profile - Report tab - Overview - In review

The second milestone if funded would be in the tab "Work in progress". The "In review" are milestones that have been delivered but not yet approved.

cassajoy
Community Member

Yes, you will get paid. Closing the contract alone doesn't affect payment when the milestones have already been funded. The payments work on the weekly billing cycle. A client of mine was happy with my work and quickly closed the contract (to provide feedback). I saw the remaining milestone in Reports, I think under In Review (which is the 14 day period Sophie mentioned).

Thanks a lot.

Is the second milestone actually funded and did you request the second milestone to be released?

Have you attached the full work to it?

 

 

The second milestone is not funded

It means you won't be paid that $200.

 

That is why we should never work on an unfunded milestone. 

Unfortunately, he has all his work completed and there's no reason for him to have to fund another milestone. From Upwork's POV, you agreed to a milestone, you did work and submitted it and got paid that amount that you yourself submitted to receive for the work you sent. You just shouldn't have done all the work if the milestone was only for part of the work.

jr-translation
Community Member

This is called underfunding. The client only funded 20% of the agreed amount but received 100% of the work. Next time only deliver for the funded amount, not more.

 

So, the client is happy, you are not.

BUT: the client only owns the 20% he paid for, you own the remaining 80%. Depending on the type of work, he might not be able to use it if you play it right.

 

If the clients closes the contract, leave an honest feedback for other freelancers.

I sent him all the work

What kind of job was it?


Jennifer R wrote:

This is called underfunding. The client only funded 20% of the agreed amount but received 100% of the work. Next time only deliver for the funded amount, not more.

 

So, the client is happy, you are not.

BUT: the client only owns the 20% he paid for, you own the remaining 80%. Depending on the type of work, he might not be able to use it if you play it right.

 

If the clients closes the contract, leave an honest feedback for other freelancers.


Everything Jennifer said, plus: If the client is also new to UW and actually intended to pay you the full fee as agreed but fumbled in handling the milestones, then he can pay you the remainder via a bonus, even after the contract is closed. (I'm 99% sure about this.) But if he chooses not to, you're out of luck.

 

Thank you

abbas_tauseef
Community Member

If Your work is something like writing etc, leave the client a message to pay you in, say, 'X days' or you'll upload the work to your online accounts. If the client fails to pay, take 80 percent of work and upload it to medium or somewhere else as your portfolio. 

 

Next time, never work when a milestone isn't funded. 

Thanks a lot

jorgensons
Community Member

Never, ever, ever work on a milestone that isn't activated. If you submit work but the money isn't in escrow yet, there's no way for you to get it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members