🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Milestone Cancelled, by Upwork not by client.
Page options
imranbcs
Community Member

Milestone Cancelled, by Upwork not by client.

Hello Upwork Team, I took up a project worth $15 and completed it and the milestone was approved by the client. Then he asked me to do 4 more documents and he set 2nd milestone for it worth $60. Upon completion of the 4 documents I sent them to the client and he was happy with the results but what I saw was that the contract was ended(apparently by upwork), and the 2nd milestone was canceled. I informed the client and he said that he didn't ended the contract nor did he cancelled the milestone and that he had contact upwork team because he is having these account issues on his side. Can anyone possibly know what has happened and provide assistance in this regard. I am posting screenshot.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

10 REPLIES 10
wontone9
Community Member

Hi

in this first screen  - client can only cancel this contract. 

Are you sure about the milestone payment was in escrow.

Be sure about this when you are working here in fixed price projects that Money should be in the escrow section. it does not matter milestone was created. But you must ensure about the escrow deposited or not.

in your case i am thinking client has created a milestone but fund was not deposited or escrow. 

regards

saju

When the amount is not in Escrow it doesn't show up under the "Work in Progress" Tab in the "Review page" right?. I can confirm that the amount of "$60" was showing in the "Work in Progress" section until the very last minute before contract was ended. But as soon as the contract was Ended the amount  disappeared from the "Work in progress". 2ndly when a client ends a contract it is shown as "XYZ ended the contract" and his profile image is shown on it's left, but here in this case it said "Contract Ended" showing upwork logo on the left(as evident from the 1st attachment).

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad I wrote:

I can confirm that the amount of "$60" was showing in the "Work in Progress" section until the very last minute before contract was ended. But as soon as the contract was Ended the amount  disappeared from the "Work in progress". 2ndly when a client ends a contract it is shown as "XYZ ended the contract" and his profile image is shown on it's left, but here in this case it said "Contract Ended" showing upwork logo on the left(as evident from the 1st attachment).

The milestone was originally funded, but canceled by Upwork. It looks like the client needs to urgently speak to Upwork, it is likely Upwok are already trying to sort it out but this is between Upwork and the client. The most common reason is when there is a black cloud over the client's payment method...

Saju G wrote:

in this first screen  - client can only cancel this contract. 

No Saju, Upwork (obviously) can do.

Please could you desist from posting wrong advise. It is getting seriously tiresome.

Saju G wrote:

Money should be in the escrow section. it does not matter milestone was created. But you must ensure about the escrow deposited or not.

Nonsense. Money in Escrow without a milestone can not be released or submitted against. Also clients can't put money into Escrow without there being a milestone.

Saju G wrote:

in your case i am thinking client has created a milestone but fund was not deposited or escrow. 

The screenshots show the milestone was funded. You clearly do not understand the process, so kindly don't confuse the OP. Thanks.

imranbcs
Community Member

The milestone was originally funded, but canceled by Upwork. It looks like the client needs to urgently speak to Upwork, it is likely Upwok are already trying to sort it out but this is between Upwork and the client. The most common reason is when there is a black cloud over the client's payment method...

I talked to the client and he said that his account is already debited with the amount and that he will do this follow up conversation with Upwork team only to make sure that I am paid. Now let's suppose the client doesn't sort it out with upwork(or even doesn't follow up saying oh why do I care), then what is there in it for the freelancer? Doesn't upwork need to make sure that the freelancer is paid for his work by making the client pay through some other method(if one method was black clouded etc) and also keep the freelancer informed during the whole process so that he knows what's going on?

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad I wrote:

Now let's suppose the client doesn't sort it out with upwork (or even doesn't follow up saying oh why do I care), then what is there in it for the freelancer?

Nothing.

Muhammad I wrote:
Doesn't upwork need to make sure that the freelancer is paid for his work by making the client pay through some other method

No. How would they even do that?

They can't discuss what is happening with your client's account with you for privacy reasons.

imranbcs
Community Member

Nothing.

So, upwork took money from the client, but freelancer wasn't paid, and this is ok? I don't think this is how it is, and if this is how it is then freelancers are at great risk(mostly from Upwork even after money is in escrow) and there is no guarantee they will be getting the money they are working for until they really get it.

No. How would they even do that?

They can't discuss what is happening with your client's account with you for privacy reasons.

They don't have to share client's details with the freelancer but there should have been a notification saying that we have "XYZ" issue with the client and so we are ending the contract and you will be informed about the "milestone" when things are sorted our, blah blah blah. But what actually happened was that the money disappeared and the freelancer doesn't know what happened(and he even suspect the client for cancelling the amount etc).

petra_r
Community Member

Muhammad I wrote:
Nothing.

So, upwork took money from the client, but freelancer wasn't paid, and this is ok? I don't think this is how it is, and if this is how it is then freelancers are at great risk (mostly from Upwork even after money is in escrow) and there is no guarantee they will be getting the money they are working for

On fixed rate contracts there is no absolute guarantee, no. Just as an example and I am not in any way suggesting that this is what happened with your client:

If a client pays with a stolen credit card or a hacked PayPal account, Upwork would have to return the funds back to where they came from (the rightful owner.)

In cases like that it's better when it happens before you received the money and withdrew it rather than weeks or months later.

I agree it's bad that Upwork don't inform you of the issue.

imranbcs
Community Member

On fixed rate contracts there is no absolute guarantee, no. Just as an example and I am not in any way suggesting that this is what happened with your client:

If a client pays with a stolen credit card or a hacked PayPal account, Upwork would have to return the funds back to where they came from (the rightful owner.)

In cases like that it's better when it happens before you received the money and withdrew it rather than weeks or months later.

That's Understandable, but the point I am making is that isn't the freelancer subjected to know what really happened to his money? Just for example if upwork randomly starts taking freelancers money without any notice(for running their own company by the way) citing(or making up) similar reasons like you posted, will it be justified or will that be seen as injustice then, which is not seen as injustice now?

Bottom line is that, isn't the freelancer need to know what actually happened to his money? Or he/she should close his eyes on the fact that it is normal in Upwork to loose your money? Not big deal, leave it. Upwork is a place where your money is not safe so it's ok if it is lost. Blah Blah blah.

By the way Are you answering on behalf of upwork? Or these are only suggestions based on your understanding of upwork? speaking of which have you seen such case(s) before?

Hi Muhammad,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you and I understand your frustration with this.

I would like to confirm that unfortunately we aren't able to share details with you for another user. Rest assured our team is working with your client on resolving their problem as soon as possible.

One of our team members will also reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. You can also learn more about how you`re protected under our Fixed price protection in this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Muhammad,
I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you and I understand your frustration with this.

I would like to confirm that unfortunately we aren't able to share details with you for another user. Rest assured our team is working with your client on resolving their problem as soon as possible.

One of our team members will also reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. You can also learn more about how you`re protected under our Fixed price protection in this Help Article. Thank you.

Thank you Goran for your response. Looking forward to an amicable resolution of the matter. Thank you

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members