cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestone Question

bryantkarlie
Karlie B Member Since: Aug 29, 2016
1 of 7

I'm new to Upwork and I submitted a proposal for a writing assignment that is very low in pay to gain some experience with the program. However, when I accepted it I didn't realize there were milestones involved. The first contract said nothing about it and only listed the one assignment. After the client accepted the first assignment, I was immediately sent another one that said that I had reached a milestone.  When I go to the contract now it shows milestone 1 and 2 (the two I've completed) but no milestones after that. My question is, how many do I have to do? The writing assignments take a lot longer than expected because I am trying to do the best job possible. I don't want to disappoint the client and cancel the contract, but I also want to be able to put in proposals for jobs that interest me.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 7

I think that you should stop trying to find work on this site and spend a day to read the help section, to watch the videos and to browse those forums.

Only once you really understand how this site works, and after having clarified all question that could remain by posting in this community, only then should you apply for jobs.

If you don't do that, chances are you will be scammed.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
3 of 7

Hi, Karlie...

Welcome to Upwork.

There are different ways, from a client's perspective, to set up a contract. 

It's up to you to communicate with the client regarding milestones (if you would like more, or prefer to close the contract). Ideally, clients will be communicative with you (I am as a client), but if they aren't then it's decision time for you. 

The way fixed rate contracts work is, the client can set it up for a budgeted amount and then set up milestones along the way. Is there a total budgeted amount for the contract? 

Say, for example; I hire a freelancer for a $500 fixed rate, I may set up 1 or more milestones along the way. I can change the milestones each step of the way, or I can set them all up beforehand. You'll be able to see this when you look at the job i.e. 7$ out of $50.

What I've found from others (and my own) experience with the $1 per 100 words writing contracts is they tend to be far more work if you're a conscientious writer. I've done them in the past, and, I understand the reasons newbies take them on. 

Ask the client if there will be more milestones. You as a freelancer are running your own business. They are your client. If you'd like to continue the work, communicate with them as such. If not, you can ask them to close the contract (other Upworkers may not do this, so you'll read different approaches to this).

Also, in the writing category, develop a topical NICHE. I've seen successful writers who specialize in blogging and writing articles in the fitness industry, automotive, etc. You get the picture. I understand everyone defines success in their own way. For some, the occasional part time work in freelancing is great!

For others, like myself, who are full-blown, full-time freelancers, there's no way in Hades I could survive from the occasional $50 writing gig that others find enjoyable. 

Tailor your proposals to each writing gig. But PLEASE, don't feed the bears free samples. 

Best Regards,

K.C.

bryantkarlie
4 of 7

Thank you Kat!

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
5 of 7

Hopefully, you know what you originally agreed to and fulfilled that obligation,

I just wanted to highlight something about article writing and milestones. Often, if a client likes your work, he/she will keep the contract open and just add another milestone when a new article is wanted.

This is great if it is a great client, who pays decently and who offers reasonable deadlines. This may not be so great if you agreed to a very low rate to "gain experience" as the client won't be able to leave feedback until he/she closes the contract. Another downside, the client can just add more funded milestones and you don't have the easy option of accepting or declining the new milestone. If you become busy with better paying or more fulfilling work, this may be a big annoyance.

I also think it might look bad if you have too many very low paying contracts on your profile. One good think about the added milestones is that your profile will show the combined amount once the contract is closed. I am not sure how low-paying this work is, but if it is very, very low then you may actually be better off building experience writing free for your own blog or portfolio or doing volunteer work. Usually, the low paying jobs here are ghost writing, so if you earn $1 for 500 words then you can't show anyone the work, the low rate looks bad on your profile and you didn't even earn enough money for a cup of coffee. (I know this is relative to wherever you live). Sorry to preach! 

I guess I would suggest you think about whether you want to continue with this arrangement. If you do not, have a "chat" with the client after you finish however many articles you initially agreed to write.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
6 of 7

@Karlie B wrote:

I'm new to Upwork and I submitted a proposal for a writing assignment that is very low in pay to gain some experience with the program. However, when I accepted it I didn't realize there were milestones involved. The first contract said nothing about it and only listed the one assignment.

If you've completed the specifications/requirements that were listed in the 1st milestone which, was the one assignment, then you've completed the job and you can requiest payment for that job.

After the client accepted the first assignment, I was immediately sent another one that said that I had reached a milestone.  When I go to the contract now it shows milestone 1 and 2 (the two I've completed) but no milestones after that.

I hope, that the 2nd milestone was funded before you started working on it. If not, there's a good chance that it won't be funded. Always, make sure escrow is funded before working.

My question is, how many do I have to do? The writing assignments take a lot longer than expected because I am trying to do the best job possible. I don't want to disappoint the client and cancel the contract, but I also want to be able to put in proposals for jobs that interest me.

You don't have to do any more. It's up to you. You can let the client know you've completed what was definded in the 2 milestones, and that you would like them to close the contract. At this point it would be up to you. Do you want to continue this type of work. If so, because it now takes a lot longer then you expected you can tell them if they want more articles done, that it's going to cost $XX because this is above and beyone the scope of work that was previously defined. And if you don't want to work with this client anymore or just plain don't like this type of work then just ask them to close the contract. You'll only disappoint the client if you didn't completed the original job correctly or on time.

Remember, don't start working on any job or milestone unless the client funds escrow. No funds, no work, it's as simple as that, (no matter what the client may try to convience you with, promise you or tell you.)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

bryantkarlie
7 of 7
This helps, thanks! Yes, the 2nd milestone said it was funded before I started it.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS