cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestone approved - Contract still open

amenallah-atrous
Alaa M Member Since: Jan 11, 2018
1 of 8

I have a problem with a client, he approved the milestone and he doesn't want to end the contract.

Knowing that there is no active milestone at this moment, what happens if I end the contract myself? Will I still give and get a feedback? Will it be a private feedback or a public feedback? Will it affect my JSS?

I already requested a dispute with this client, and I'm looking for more help about where this problem is heading, and what will be the consequences.

I will be so grateful if a moderator takes a closer look at the issue I'm facing.

Thank you

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 8

Hi Alaa,

Can you share more details about what you have raised a dispute for with your client? If I understood you correctly all of the agreed funds were paid to you, correct?
You can end your contract at any time and both sides will be able to leave private and public feedback on your contract. Contracts with no client feedback, do not affect your score unless you have excessive contracts with no feedback.

To learn more about what factors are affecting your JSS, check out this Help Article. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
amenallah-atrous
3 of 8

Thank you for your reply.

Yes exactly, he paid all the amount agreed in the contract but he didn't end the contract. If I end the contract myself I'm afraid he will leave a bad feedback as he is so selfish and irresponsible, he is blaming me for a thing which I have absolutely no control over. Can share with you, here, what the problem is and what I exactly wrote in the dispute? Will his feedback be private or public? and is there any way I can avoid this bad feedback? as it will badly affect my JSS which is the only thing I care for, especially that I'm on the way to earn a Top-rated badge, and I don't want it to get messed up because of a non-understanding client.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 8

Who initiated the dispute? You or the client?

Is the client trying to get money back?

If the client leaves feedback there will be both public and private feedback and the public feedback will be visible on your profile, yes.

View solution in original post

amenallah-atrous
5 of 8

Hello

I contacted the Upwork Support yesterday (before the milestone approval) and I initiated a dispute, but It's not appearing in my profile, still says that I have no disputes.

The client does not want his money back, I'm not even sure he knows that I requested a dispute.

And certainly the issue he was having  with the work delivered, which he blamed me for it and I had nothing to do with it, was solved, that's why he approved the milestone, but I still don"t understand why he left the contract open without adding any milestones, he is just trying to have my JSS decreased I guess, leaving a non-active contract on.

What do you recommend me to do? Shall I end the contract and risk the bad feedback that I don't deserve?

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
6 of 8

Alaa, not knowing the circumstances of your dispute I'm going to set that aside. Your feedback is great, your score is perfect. Don't worry about one idle contract. It's not going to tank your JSS. The dispute is another issue altogether, but a client leaving a job open without a current milestone isn't anything to be upset about unless it is part of a pattern - then it could affect your score. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 8

@Alaa M wrote:

Hello

I contacted the Upwork Support yesterday (before the milestone approval) and I initiated a dispute, but It's not appearing in my profile, still says that I have no disputes.

The client does not want his money back, I'm not even sure he knows that I requested a dispute.

What do you recommend me to do? Shall I end the contract and risk the bad feedback that I don't deserve?

You can't dispute a client's opinion, you can't dispute a client not ending a contract and nothing happens to your JSS just because a client hasn't ended a contract for a few days or weeks anyway.

You also can't dispute feedback, let alone feedback that hasn't even happened yet.

Do the professional thing: Discuss it calmly with the client.

amenallah-atrous
8 of 8

Thank you, Melissa and Petra.

I think I will leave the contract open, and as you mentioned, all I am doing during this contract is the professional thing, which is trying to discuss the problem with my client, but he has always shown unresponsiveness and non-cooperation. I will just wait for a few weeks, maybe he changes his mind, if not, I will end the contract myself and let it be.

I just wish I don't work with such clients in the future, as they always try to use motivated freelancers for doing extra free work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS