Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestone not funded ?

javco
Jalal S Member Since: Sep 4, 2017
1 of 19

Hello everyone,

Milestone is not funded ? what does that mean ??

Also the contract was ended by the client, how can proceed to get my money from the client ?

Cordially.

J.Sordo.

Untitled.jpg

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
2 of 19

If the milestone is not funded and the contract is closed, you're out of luck. Never work without a funded milestone.

javco
3 of 19
Should I issue a dispute? Also why upwork allow non funded milestones ??
jcullinan
Community Guru
4 of 19

Did you submit the work for the second milestone? If so, you can report to Customer Service. However, they have no way to force a client to pay you. Payment protection doesn't apply if the milestone was not funded in escrow.

Here's how it's supposed to work: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063748

If you did not submit the work, then the client doesn't owe you anything on that second milestone.

Also, you should go read this article before you take on any additional fixed price contracts: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068208-Fixed-Price-Contracts-How-it-works-and-Best-P...

javco
5 of 19

Again I must insist, why would upwork allow a client to create a milestone without funding it ??

maybe i don't understand the business model here, would you please enlighten me.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 19

@Jalal S wrote:

Again I must insist, why would upwork allow a client to create a milestone without funding it ??

maybe i don't understand the business model here, would you please enlighten me.

You need to familiarise yourself with the way fixed rate contracts and payment in general works and then manage your contracts accordingly.... 

jcullinan
Community Guru
7 of 19

@Jalal S wrote:

Read the links I posted above.

Also read this: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
8 of 19

@Jalal S wrote:
Should I issue a dispute? Also why upwork allow non funded milestones ??

You can not dispute. only funds in Escrow can be disputed.

ASk the client NICELY to pay you the remaining funds as a bonus, it could easily be an oversight, so don't get aggressive. 

View solution in original post

nicolassylvia
Sylvia N Member Since: Sep 18, 2017
9 of 19

H Petra, I have a similar issue. I did 2 CVs for a client and 2 cover letters. The client payed for the CVs and still hasnt paid for the cover letters. I was in contact with him everyday while doing the work since I finished and sent him the final cover letters, he doesnt reply and it has been 2 weeks. He splitted the work into 2 milestones and only paid for one. I tried to contact him several times on Upwork and Skype but no response.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 19

Hi Sylvia,

I had a look and see only one Milestone was created on your contract. Note that you should start working only once a Milestone is crated and funded, in order to be covered by Upwork Payment Protection. You can communicate with your client about issuing a payment for the additional work you provided as a bonus or setting up and releasing a new Milestone.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS