🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Milestone not funded ?
Page options
javco

Milestone not funded ?

Hello everyone,

Milestone is not funded ? what does that mean ??

Also the contract was ended by the client, how can proceed to get my money from the client ?

Cordially.

J.Sordo.

Untitled.jpg

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Jalal S wrote:
Should I issue a dispute? Also why upwork allow non funded milestones ??

You can not dispute. only funds in Escrow can be disputed.

ASk the client NICELY to pay you the remaining funds as a bonus, it could easily be an oversight, so don't get aggressive. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
jcullinan

If the milestone is not funded and the contract is closed, you're out of luck. Never work without a funded milestone.

javco

Did you submit the work for the second milestone? If so, you can report to Customer Service. However, they have no way to force a client to pay you. Payment protection doesn't apply if the milestone was not funded in escrow.

Here's how it's supposed to work: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063748

If you did not submit the work, then the client doesn't owe you anything on that second milestone.

Also, you should go read this article before you take on any additional fixed price contracts: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068208-Fixed-Price-Contracts-How-it-works-and-Best-P...

Again I must insist, why would upwork allow a client to create a milestone without funding it ??

maybe i don't understand the business model here, would you please enlighten me.

@Jalal S wrote:

Again I must insist, why would upwork allow a client to create a milestone without funding it ??

maybe i don't understand the business model here, would you please enlighten me.

You need to familiarise yourself with the way fixed rate contracts and payment in general works and then manage your contracts accordingly.... 

@Jalal S wrote:

Read the links I posted above.

Also read this: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

@Jalal S wrote:

You can not dispute. only funds in Escrow can be disputed.

ASk the client NICELY to pay you the remaining funds as a bonus, it could easily be an oversight, so don't get aggressive. 

H Petra, I have a similar issue. I did 2 CVs for a client and 2 cover letters. The client payed for the CVs and still hasnt paid for the cover letters. I was in contact with him everyday while doing the work since I finished and sent him the final cover letters, he doesnt reply and it has been 2 weeks. He splitted the work into 2 milestones and only paid for one. I tried to contact him several times on Upwork and Skype but no response.

Hi Sylvia,

I had a look and see only one Milestone was created on your contract. Note that you should start working only once a Milestone is crated and funded, in order to be covered by Upwork Payment Protection. You can communicate with your client about issuing a payment for the additional work you provided as a bonus or setting up and releasing a new Milestone.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi everyone!

I have a similar problem. I worked a project divided in two milestones and I finished the second one without realizing it wasn't funded. It's been a week now, and my client doesn't respond.  I know I've made a mistake, is it there something I can do? Thanks.

Sabrina L wrote: I finished the second one without realizing it wasn't funded. It's been a week now, and my client doesn't respond.  I know I've made a mistake, is it there something I can do? Thanks.

Nope, unless the client appears again and pays there is nothing that can be done. You do, however, own the work as it was not fully paid for, so the client can not legally use it. A gentle and polite reminder of that fact *may* help.

Thanks Petra.

Hi Petra, how are you doing?

I have a question regarding the same issue. Can I use the work I've done for this client in my personal portfolio? He didn't appear yet. Thanks!

@Sabrina L wrote:

Hi Petra, how are you doing?

I have a question regarding the same issue. Can I use the work I've done for this client in my personal portfolio? He didn't appear yet. Thanks!

If it wasn't paid for it's yours! You can do as you please with it.

I'm sorry the client did not resurface 😞

Thanks!

Yeah he didn't appear, in fact the job it's open, I just see his activity and I think he's interviewing other people.

Hello Sabrina, it is best to only work on a milestone that has been funded in escrow to ensure that it is covered by Upwork Payment Protection. This way, if a client stops communicating after you've completed and submitted the work, you will still be able to get paid.

~Nina

This may or may not be relevant in this situation... I learned it the hard way a couple of months ago:

When a client creates a fixed-price contract with more than one milestone, they can go ahead and fund several (or all) of the milestones at once. Then you can go ahead and work each one, requesting payment as the work is completed. 
BUT if milestones are added to an existing contract, then they can only be funded one at a time. That is, #4 cannot be funded until #3 is approved.

My client and I mutually agreed to expand the scope of a project, and finish it on a tight timeline. She threw up a couple of of additional milestones and then was out of the office for the period during which i needed to complete all of the work. In order to meet the delivery date, I had to do the final parts without funded milestones. It was a repeat client whom I know and trust, so there was virtually no risk for me. But it felt like an invisible--and unnecessary--pothole that I had stepped into.

Thank you so much for your response. Next time I will pay more attention.