Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestone not funded ?

sbrnl
Ace Contributor
Sabrina L Member Since: Jul 26, 2017
11 of 19

Hi everyone!

I have a similar problem. I worked a project divided in two milestones and I finished the second one without realizing it wasn't funded. It's been a week now, and my client doesn't respond.  I know I've made a mistake, is it there something I can do? Thanks.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 19

Sabrina L wrote: I finished the second one without realizing it wasn't funded. It's been a week now, and my client doesn't respond.  I know I've made a mistake, is it there something I can do? Thanks.

Nope, unless the client appears again and pays there is nothing that can be done. You do, however, own the work as it was not fully paid for, so the client can not legally use it. A gentle and polite reminder of that fact *may* help.

sbrnl
Ace Contributor
13 of 19

Thanks Petra.

sbrnl
Ace Contributor
14 of 19

Hi Petra, how are you doing?

I have a question regarding the same issue. Can I use the work I've done for this client in my personal portfolio? He didn't appear yet. Thanks!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 19

@Sabrina L wrote:

Hi Petra, how are you doing?

I have a question regarding the same issue. Can I use the work I've done for this client in my personal portfolio? He didn't appear yet. Thanks!

If it wasn't paid for it's yours! You can do as you please with it.

I'm sorry the client did not resurface Smiley Sad

sbrnl
Ace Contributor
16 of 19

Thanks!

Yeah he didn't appear, in fact the job it's open, I just see his activity and I think he's interviewing other people.

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
17 of 19

Hello Sabrina, it is best to only work on a milestone that has been funded in escrow to ensure that it is covered by Upwork Payment Protection. This way, if a client stops communicating after you've completed and submitted the work, you will still be able to get paid.

~Nina
gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
18 of 19

This may or may not be relevant in this situation... I learned it the hard way a couple of months ago:

When a client creates a fixed-price contract with more than one milestone, they can go ahead and fund several (or all) of the milestones at once. Then you can go ahead and work each one, requesting payment as the work is completed. 
BUT if milestones are added to an existing contract, then they can only be funded one at a time. That is, #4 cannot be funded until #3 is approved.

My client and I mutually agreed to expand the scope of a project, and finish it on a tight timeline. She threw up a couple of of additional milestones and then was out of the office for the period during which i needed to complete all of the work. In order to meet the delivery date, I had to do the final parts without funded milestones. It was a repeat client whom I know and trust, so there was virtually no risk for me. But it felt like an invisible--and unnecessary--pothole that I had stepped into.

sbrnl
Ace Contributor
19 of 19

Thank you so much for your response. Next time I will pay more attention.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS