Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestones - again

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
1 of 23

I know this question has been asked, and recently, but I can't find the thread.

Do you have to complete the work for the first milestone (and have it approved)  before the second  and third milestones are funded? Or can all three be funded at the beginning of the contract?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 23

All three can be funded at the beginning, but the process is weird. The client has to fund the whole project first and then break it into milestones rather than setting up milestones and funding each.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 23

Clients can't fund more than one milestone.

It's really, really, really annoying.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
colettelewis
Community Guru
4 of 23

Thank you both of you.

Tiffany, how does the client fund the whole project first and then divide it up?

René, does that mean you complete the first milestone (approved) and then go on to the next milestone that must then be funded for the next part of the project to be carried out?

It's really weird. I have always (with the smallest exception) worked on a fixed-rate basis, and I have not hit this problem before!

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
5 of 23

Well, this certainly explains WHY a client was unable to fund a full project - even though he tried.

Upwork, this really needs to be corrected.  A client should be able to fund a full project if he/she wants and set up milestones with detailed deliverables.

Thanks so much Nichola, Rene and Tiffany ... now I would love to be able to say the same to Upwork for correcting a dumb situation ....

ARGH and head meets brick wall ....  😞

colettelewis
Community Guru
6 of 23

I seem to remember,  some time ago, that Garnor said Upwork was looking into a more interactive set up, but nothing seems to have evolved.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 23

@Nichola L wrote:

René, does that mean you complete the first milestone (approved) and then go on to the next milestone that must then be funded for the next part of the project to be carried out?

I think that a milestone needs to be released before the next one can be funded. Please mods correct me if I'm wrong.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
8 of 23

Yes, please, moderators. 

BTW, my job in question does not have a tight deadline but many jobs do.

This set-up really needs to be corrected.

This widget could not be displayed.
9 of 23
This widget could not be displayed.

@Rene K wrote:

I think that a milestone needs to be released before the next one can be funded. Please mods correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, exactly. Recently, I had a project with 5 milestones to be delivered within a few days. The client had to control everything very quick after delivery so that he could release the money and fund the next milestone. It would have been easier with one milestone for the whole project but I can understand that a client wants to see intermediate results if he works with somebody for the first time.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 23

Petra provided screen shots showing how to set it up in this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Fund-Multiple-Milestones/m-p/154518/highlight/true#M7842

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS