Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestones - again

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
11 of 23

That's handy, Tiffany - except for the fact no one can find it and it is about 10000000+% counter intuitive even for someone with a darn PhD.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 23

@Wendy C wrote:

That's handy, Tiffany - except for the fact no one can find it and it is about 10000000+% counter intuitive even for someone with a darn PhD.

Yeah. It's definitely not the best way to handle it and clients aren't likely to work it out on their own.

It's so awkward that I wonder whether this is intentional, given the restrictions on how long Upwork can hold escrowed funds.

@Wendy C wrote:

wendy_writes
Community Guru
13 of 23

Calling all wanna be investigative reporters ....  😉

Sadly, Tiffany, that really might be the reasoning ...

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
14 of 23

@Tiffany S wrote:

It's so awkward that I wonder whether this is intentional, given the restrictions on how long Upwork can hold escrowed funds.

Restrictions on how long Upwork can hold escrowed funds?

Funny.

They are holding our money in security whatever they call it, as long as it pleases them, and they are limited on escrowing funds? How comes Elance hadn't such issues?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 23

@Rene K wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

Restrictions on how long Upwork can hold escrowed funds?

Funny.

They are holding our money in security whatever they call it, as long as it pleases them, and they are limited on escrowing funds? How comes Elance hadn't such issues?

I don't know much about how Elance operating. If you're saying that a project could be funded and then Elance could hold those funds in escrow for nine months or two years or a decade, I'm not sure what the difference is. It may be as simple as the state in which the company is incorporated or even the bank it uses. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 23

@Rene K wrote:

Clients can't fund more than one milestone.

It's really, really, really annoying.

It would indeed be "really, really, really annoying" if it was true, however, it is not, at all.

It is entirely possible, and in no way rocket science, to fund the whole project when originally setting it up.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
17 of 23

Petra, if the process were simple, direct and obvious this thread (and many others like it) would not exist.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 23

@Wendy C wrote:

Petra, if the process were simple, direct and obvious this thread (and many others like it) would not exist.

I am an idiot technologically and I could figure it out. 

versailles
Community Guru
19 of 23

@Petra R wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

Clients can't fund more than one milestone.

It's really, really, really annoying.

It would indeed be "really, really, really annoying" if it was true, however, it is not, at all.

It is entirely possible, and in no way rocket science, to fund the whole project when originally setting it up.

Actually, it is possible to fund all the milestones when you set the project, but you cannot fund ulteriorly created milestones.

For instance, if you don't know exactly from the beginning how many milestones you will have, and for what amount, and if you have to add them later, you will have to release the previous one before funding the next one.

I find this really annoying.

-----------
versailles
Community Guru
20 of 23

I would like to provide a practical example why I find this annoying:

Client gives you the first document and founds the milestone 1. The second document is ready while you're still translating the first one. The client would love that you start working on the second document while they are reviewing the first one.

This won't happen since they must release milestone 1 before funding milestone 2.

Annoying.

-----------
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS