Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestones agreements

hartur
Hector C Member Since: Jan 22, 2017
1 of 4

Hi, 

Some people say we come to life to lear every day... well, today i learned something new..... that a client can create a milestone, fund it and pay it unilaterally. This means i have to refund the money or be forced to do that work.

As i understood the system, a milestone could not be paid if a freelancer doesn't request its release, that's a logical thing to do but it seems i got it wrong. Although i got it wrong it doesn't means that is right, a milestone should be agreed by both parties before a milestone can be even funded, after all, is where a freelancer explicitly commints to do that part of the contract. Picture this scenario: 

-Freelancer and client agree to Contract#1 and milestones # 1, 2 and 3. Meanwhile, they both agree to do Contract#2 with milestones #1 and #2. After finishing milestone #3, the client decides to create a new milestone, which it could be #1 from contract#2, fund it and then release those funds.

Now, the only method the system has to deal with that is by the freelancer refunding the money which some clients may find rude, specially those that doesn't know how to use the system yet.

A way to prevent this should be to have a button next to the newly created milestone for the freelancer to agree to it. 

I'm looking forward to hear from the community.

Thank you.

Hector C.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 4

Completely agree! I have a client who keeps throwing little milestones at me without warning (little ones, admittedly, but still.....)

Apparently Upwork was considering doing something about it....

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
3 of 4

I also have a client who does this. His assignments are usually very small and he pays very well, but that is an ideal situation in this case. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 4

Hector, Petra and Katrina,

We have shared this suggestion with our Product team and this is something they are considering adding in the future. We'll notify the Community about any changes.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS