cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Milestones for one time work

mydezigner
My D Member Since: Apr 30, 2017
1 of 10

Hi all, i am new to Upwork so please be kind if my question sounds very familiar to you.

I have received an offer (architecture services) from a client for an one time project for $1100. I notice in the offer a "Milestones" category writing "initial design options" $100. Can someone clarify me what this is about? Furthermore, can the client ask for revisions? And what if the revisions asked are very demanding and far from my initial work?

Thanks.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 10

@My D wrote:

Hi all, i am new to Upwork so please be kind if my question sounds very familiar to you.

I have received an offer (architecture services) from a client for an one time project for $1100. I notice in the offer a "Milestones" category writing "initial design options" $100. Can someone clarify me what this is about? Furthermore, can the client ask for revisions? And what if the revisions asked are very demanding and far from my initial work?

Thanks.

Means that $100 were escrowed and that $100 is what you will be paid. further milestones need to be escrowed if you want to go beyond the initial $100. Never work without having the amount escrowed.

If you're expecting revisions, tell the client that they should hire you on a hourly job.

And please do yourself a favor, do not use Upwork before you fully understand how it works. You'll get scammed.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 10

And by the way, your profile is bound to suspension because you have terms of service violations on it. You really should read the whole help section...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 10

@My D wrote:

Thanks.

I don't know how many milestones this job has, what the scope of work is for each milestone and the amount allocated for each milestone.

Lets assume it has only 1 milestone, Although the agreed price of the job is $1100 this one milestone was funded for $100. When you complete the scope of work for this milestone and submit it, you will be paid just what's funded in escrow - $100. That scope of work that was defined is, initial design options. I have no idea what type of work this job has. It sounds like, and I may be wrong, but if you submit initial design options, that, that is a MAJOR part of this job.  And if so, what may happen is that once you submit that, the client will disappear and there's nothing you or Upwork can do to get the rest of the money owed to you.

And assuming that this job has several milestones, and again I don't know if "initial design options" would be a major part of this job and if it is, a LOT more money should be deposited into escrow.

If you go ahead with this job, you better be VERY careful and know EXACTLY how jobs and freelancing on this site works otherwise you are going to get scammed.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 10

You must remove your web address from your overview, as Rene suggests - or your profile will be shut down. Upwork is not here to advertise your business so blatantly.

mydezigner
6 of 10

I thank you all for your support, it will probably be my first upwork job so pls be understanding. The job is for one milestone and very demanding that is why the amount is $1100. I will suggest to my client to send me a new offer with the total amount. Is it possible to clarify on his offer that possibe adjustments or revisions will be counted separetaly?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 10

You need to change your profile name to your own legal name before you do ANYTHING else....

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
8 of 10

Right now you need to worry about fixing your profile. You are a company. You need an agency account and each person in your agency need their own profile.  You will have to change this or face suspension. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 10

And when you have followed the above advice. I would contact the client and very politely question the $100, but at the same time make it quite clear how much work he can expect to get for $100. Also make it clear how many revisions you are prepared to make at each step.

(If it were me, I would ask for the entire amount (or at least half) to be funded before I started work.)

mydezigner
10 of 10

I have changed my profile with my name and surname and waiting for upwork to fix it. I thank you all, I have received your advices 100%.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS