🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Milestones not according with the Job contrac...
Page options
lowwideonart
Community Member

Milestones not according with the Job contract

Hi, my name is Brendon and I started at Upwork a short time ago.

I recently took a job with a client who asked for some basic illustrations for a certain amount. I suggested that we do a test design before the actual work. To see if my style suited what she wanted. She would send me an idea and I would sketch it out.

The point is that, instead, she sent 3 ideas asking me to do it, however, she added a random value like Milestone, claiming that these drawings were a work Previous to the real work of the proposal. Can the customer do this? I mean, she literally kicked off 3 of my illustrations and launched Milestone. I would draft an idea to plan the project, not 3 full illustrations for the amount she THINKS i should receive.

As i have not yet received any payment or delivered any work, can i end the contract? What are the consequences of this (besides the lost connect?).

The conversation has been a little strange and I don't know if she still really understood the situation (even because she is even planning other drawings besides these, also for random values ​​that she is making up). Of course, I’m still going to talk more and explain the situation better, but I want to know an answer in case a more serious measure is needed.

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Brendon,

You and your client should discuss and agree upon all milestone amounts, deliverables, and deadlines prior to beginning work. Please keep in mind that when you, as a freelancer, close a contract it will be immediately considered in your JSS during the next update. When you leave a contract open and inactive, the impact to your score takes longer to appear (typically a few months). In both cases, the impact may be the same, but the timing is different. You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
NikolaS

Hi Brendon,

You and your client should discuss and agree upon all milestone amounts, deliverables, and deadlines prior to beginning work. Please keep in mind that when you, as a freelancer, close a contract it will be immediately considered in your JSS during the next update. When you leave a contract open and inactive, the impact to your score takes longer to appear (typically a few months). In both cases, the impact may be the same, but the timing is different. You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi, thanks for the reply. I thought about it a lot, and I chose to change the project a little, so that it would correct these problems and be beneficial for both of us. So nobody loses. But thanks for the clarification. :3

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths