🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Milestones
Page options
barbarapeavy
Community Member

Milestones

I have finished a job. The client is asking how to send me the last milestone and I have no idea. The website says I have no contracts. I am so confused!!

8 REPLIES 8
m_sharman
Community Member

Work commences when an offer is sent AND ACCEPTED via Upwork.  For fixed price contracts, the milestones are prefunded for each task. I have a contract pending right now because there are no active milestones - so no work.

I would ask the client to send you an offer for the amount agreed. The client should "fund" that milestone.

Once you have accepted the offer, you can submit for them milestone.

The reason it's all confusing is you don't have a proper contract. I hope the clients intentions are honorable and they aren't scamming you.

He funded the first milestone and he is asking how to pay the second one.  Under Contracts it lists the amount agreed upon and says the job is completed.  He asked if he could just tip me the balance.

Barbara P wrote:

He funded the first milestone and he is asking how to pay the second one.  Under Contracts it lists the amount agreed upon and says the job is completed.  He asked if he could just tip me the balance.

that should work, he can provide you with a bonus, although if the contract is ended, I'm not certain how that works. 

kat303
Community Member

If the contract is closed the client can issue a bonus for any additional work. If the client still wants to work with you,  the client should issue you a new contract with escrow FULLY funded. 

I accepted the job and the first milestone was paid to me.  Does he need to amend the contract and fund the additional?

Maybe your client closed the contract by mistake after he approved the milestone. If so, he can always start another contract.

Barbara P wrote:

I accepted the job and the first milestone was paid to me.  Does he need to amend the contract and fund the additional?

A client can create as many milestones as they want. I even think you can "suggest" new milestones, with escrow funds and suggested "names." But the client has to accept and fund it on their end and make it active. 

Hi Barbara, 

I checked and it looks like your contracts are already closed. I would recommend that you communicate directly with your client so that they can issue a bonus for the work that was not paid for. You may share this help article with the client for more information on how they can issue a bonus to you. 

We generally recommend freelancers to only work on milestones, once they have been funded, and to only do the amount of work commensurate to the rate noted on the milestone. Since it sounds like you are new to Upwork, I would recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please also pay attention to the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members