Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini-milestones

gnakeur
Community Guru
Giorgi N Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
1 of 3

Hello upworkers!

I have a situation when my client breaks the job into mini-milestones. One iteration was about half an hour of work and we agreed on 20$. But he devided it like 10$, 5$, 5$ milestones(1.Implement that; 2.Implement this; 3.Help me understand itSmiley Wink. And he keeps doing this for other iterations. as well. I don't mind, but it just makes me a little bit upset. We are working for about 1 month now and he is a good client, he pays and gives me 5 stars etc. And he is from USA. I could understand this behaviour for someone from India where 5$ is good money, but from USA? 

How can you explain this? How can I politely tell him not to do like that? Should I at all?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2 of 3

I would probably be annoyed by that as well. It costs you more time to submit for review than you are making at some point! But, he may have been burned on a fixed price contract in the past. If he had a contractor that vanished and refused to finish after getting the first milestone, he may be more cautious now. Maybe his last contractor insisted on being paid every step of the way. Or- maybe he thinks he has to set up milestones. 

If you feel comfortable doing so, you might ask him why he splits it into milestones rather than just paying when the job is complete. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 3

Giorgi:

When I do fixed-price contracts, my clients DO NOT determine what constitutes individual milestones.

I discuss with them what needs to be done.

Then, as the CONTRACTOR, I break the project down into separate milestones or separate contracts. I tell the client what each milestone or contract consist of. I tell the client how much money each is worth.

You do not need to let the client be in charge of this aspect of setting up contracts. You should be in charge of this.

The client is the one who physicaly creates milestones and contracts using the Upwork client-side interface. But they do what I tell them to do.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS