Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Pay Rates?

Community Leader
Isabel S Member Since: Jul 23, 2016
1 of 48

Hi!

I get so angry looking at the insulting rates clients propose for some of the work they're advertising. $100 for a 50,000-word book - 20% = $80!  $45 for an 8,000-word book -20% = $36. Isn't there some sort of minimum Upwork can set? These people must think we're really stupid or totally desperate. Those were a couple of jobs I'd like to have bid on but I'm not working for **Edited for Community Guidelines**  wages! 

Melissa D Member Since: Nov 17, 2016
2 of 48

Hi there Isabel

I know exactly what you mean.  There are job ads for websites for $100.  I don't know where in the world one can get a website for that amount of money, but even with my country's weak currency, websites do not go for the equivalent.

I have seen the same issue with writing gigs and social media gigs.  Or, my personal peeve, "we want you to like 10 000 instagram posts an hour - only apply if you are happy to work 5 hours a day for $2 an hour and are going to be a happy and productive worker".

I can't make a living like that.

Warm regards

Melissa

Community Leader
3 of 48

I absolutely agree. At one stage I accepted a job from a client for $3 per 500-word article and five articles a day. That was at the very beginning of my career on Upwork. Never again! It nearly killed me! They take advantage of entry-level freelancers who just want to get a toe in the door and exploit them shamelessly. It's easy to say "just don't take the job," but what do you do if you have no work history? Upwork should set minimum rates to stop this.

Community Guru
Zoltán N Member Since: Jul 23, 2015
4 of 48

It is still better than one of my recent invites to create 52 book illustrations in 2 weeks (normally it can be 1-2 months of work), and they offered the generous sum of $10 ($0.15/piece, or $4/week if someone can keep the harsh deadline) Robot Mad

Even just pushing the Decline button have costed me much more than $0.15

Community Leader
5 of 48

Hi Zoltan

My first ever job on Upwork was $8 for a 2,000 word SEO article! Fortunately, after that, I developed a good rapport with the client and got much better rates - but entry level freelancers are sitting ducks for this kind of **Edited for Community Guidelines**!

Cat Mad

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 48

Hi Isabel,

We already have budget minimums in place on both Fixed-Price ($5) and Hourly jobs ($3 an hour).

Community Guru
7 of 48

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Isabel,

We already have budget minimums in place on both Fixed-Price ($5) and Hourly jobs ($3 an hour).

Hi Vladimir,

Does Upwork plan to change these minimums to something more reasonable in the close future? (I think even $20-25 for the fixed price jobs would help raising the torn reputation of the site - unless the management are willing to continue the race to the bottom with f***err, of course.)

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 48

Hi Zoltan,

We don't have plans to change budget minimums in the near future and advise freelancers to bid and accept offers for jobs that meet their budget preference.

Community Guru
9 of 48

Thank you Vladimir. I understand that it is a marketing decision - but as far as I can see, in the reality it directly leads to free labor. These symbolic sums don't even cover the power bill for running the computer.

If it is possible, cheap clients will put $5 into the budget field. If there are jobs with this budget, there will be always people for such junk jobs. If it's a tendency, it will position Upwork somewhere far below f***err on the market.

Community Leader
10 of 48

Hi Zoltan

You must never use the "F" word here! Cat LOL

Isabel

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS