Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Pay Rates?

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
11 of 48

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Isabel,

We already have budget minimums in place on both Fixed-Price ($5) and Hourly jobs ($3 an hour).

Vladimir - Yes, you have BUDGET minimums in place, but NO proposal minimums in place except for Hourly jobs. No matter what the clients hourly budget rates are, if you try to submit an amount lower then $3 you will get this message.  Please enter a value between $3.00 and $999.00

But for fixed rate jobs, even though there is a BUDGET minimum there is NO restrictions on what a contractor can put in as their proposal amount.

Why can't there be a validation rule for fixed rate jobs like there are for hourly jobs. Having no proposal restriction on fixed rate jobs actually defeats the purpose of having a budget minimum.

That just doesn't make any sense.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 48

Hi Kathy,

We are aware of the issue you are referring to and the team is working to address it in the near future. You are right, freelancers shouldn't be able to bid below the budget minimum. 

Note that currently clients won't be able to make an offer for less than $5 budget and will need to fund at least $5 milestone.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Leader
Isabel S Member Since: Jul 23, 2016
13 of 48

Good to know, thanks!

Renee C Member Since: Mar 19, 2017
14 of 48

Wow! $5. You must not understand how much education, talent and work is involved in creating compelling copy or any other type of creative work. **Edited for Community Guidelines** How about taking the "free" out of freelance?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 48

Hi Renee,

Freelancers are free to bid on jobs with the amount they think is appropriate. Experienced freelancers have shared here in the Community that they've won jobs after bidding well over the client's budgets. Some freelancers also have shared that they occasionally do a $5 or $10 job that takes them 5 minutes to complete and they would like to keep the possibility to do that.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Leader
16 of 48

Hi Rene

No, I don't agree that it's a complete waste of time. I've done quite well out of Upwork and I'm still doing so. But $5 for an expert level thesis (absolutely true!) is just - just - I can't think of a word in English for the amount of contempt I feel for people who do things like that. Their payment is usually unverified and they are usually (sorry to say it, but I'm stating facts) from a few **Edited for Community Guidelines** countries. As soon as I see "payment unverified" I run a mile. As for the hike in Upwork's rates, they are losing clients hand over fist. Quite a few of mine suggested working off Upwork. We do the work, we give them their profits. Treat us better. I kept on after the commission hike but I was seriously considering leaving for a while. They are frantically trying to gain back lost ground by offering no commission to any clients you bring to Upwork. If you have existing clients, what's the advantage to either of you? I think the thing that made me the angriest was the explanation for the hike. To make us want to work harder so that we'd only have to pay 15% to Upwork - 5% more than the 10% we used to pay! I think Upwork is useful and I'll stick with it, but they really ought to look after their freelancers better.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 48

Isabel S wrote:To make us want to work harder so that we'd only have to pay 15% to Upwork - 5% more than the 10% we used to pay! I think Upwork is useful and I'll stick with it, but they really ought to look after their freelancers better.

What do you mean? It's only 20% on the first $ 500 with any client, then i drops to 10%, then, at the $ 10 000 mark, it drops to 5%.

At no point is the fee 15%

Community Leader
18 of 48

Apologies for the mistake, but it's still insulting our intelligence! Why should we have to work harder - as if we weren't

working hard already! The fact is they're suddenly taking away 10% more of our income and giving nothing back. They act as if they're doing us a favour by taking money away from us.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 48

Isabel S wrote:The fact is they're suddenly taking away 10% more of our income and giving nothing back. They act as if they're doing us a favour by taking money away from us.

Well, it works the other way round for me. I upped my rate after the fee increase, by more than the increase, so I am now keeping more of my money for the first $ 500 with any one client, and even more after.

Ace Contributor
Oscar Q Member Since: Mar 1, 2017
20 of 48

There are some markets out there that would work for pennies. Myself I'm having a hardtime competing with the **Edited for Community Guidelines** Market.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS