Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Pay Rates?

Community Leader
Isabel S Member Since: Jul 23, 2016
21 of 48

Hi Oscar

The trouble with those markets is that a dollar is worth a lot more to them than it is to you and me. I work in a weak currency, ZAR (Rand) but I won't take those **Edited for Community Guidelines** jobs anymore, and I only did them to improve my profile. I always convert my dollars in my head back to GBP Sterling.

Regards

Isabel

Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
22 of 48

Smiley Mad .... And then they complain because "this business is not profitable" and put all the pressure on the freelancers, who have to cope with the price hike. 

You want more money? Improve your market. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
23 of 48

Zoltan, Upwork may decide a higher minimum rate but what exactly would that change? Do you really think that people who offer so low rates will pay more because the minimal rate is higher?

And what is the right minimal rate anyways? $20? $50? $100? Let say that Upwork decides that the minimum billing is $100. This won't change anything for the client who wants to have their 50k word book written for $100.

And there are still ways to go lower than the minimum rate. One can work for $20/hour and agree with the client to bill only one out of every five hours.

My point is that demanding a minimal rate is unrealistic because there is no minimal rate that would fit all situations and in any case, someone who want to pay peanuts won't pay more whatever Upwork does.

This kind of solution works only in your imagination. There is only one right way to deal with those job posts: not reading them. What do you think will happen if and when the client hires someone at that rate? They will get exactly what they paid for. Period. There is no miracle.

Listen, two days ago I had a client for the proofreading of a document, they were moaning about my rates. I refused to negotiate, they paid my rate and were very happy with the result. OK, cool. Then they added that they had such disastrous experiences with translators and proofreaders on Upwork. I restrained from giving them the monkeys & peanuts line, but this beautifully illustrates how a client can become more aware of the costs of things over time.

So instead of wasting your precious time and your nerves reading those job posts, just click away and leave them to the unskilled horde of zombies that swarm this site.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Maria C Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
BEST ANSWER
24 of 48

It's a question of branding, corporate image and attract the right clients. 

I wouldn't move much more the minimuns, only a little bit, but I would do something with extremely low paying jobs. F.i. Let us flag them, and will see. Or maybe ban bids of more than the 30 per cent less than the budget. 

Community Guru
25 of 48

@Maria C wrote:

I wouldn't move much more the minimuns, only a little bit, but I would do something with extremely low paying jobs. F.i. Let us flag them, and will see. Or maybe ban bids of more than the 30 per cent less than the budget. 

Elance had an interesting feature. When freelancers bid a certain % below the posted budget, their level took a hit. There was no JSS but levels.

I would love to see this implemented on Upwork. The company would definitely benefit from this.

-----------
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
26 of 48

Or maybe ban bids of more than the 30 per cent less than the budget. 

Which makes the process of supplying paid samples much more complicated.

Community Guru
27 of 48

@Maria C wrote:

The main question is, what's Upwork's branding strategy? Right now Upwork seems to aim at the massive low-rate market. They accept everybody, they display no specific willingness to fight the low rate, low quality providers. Apparently they are trying to cast a wide net and try to catch as much of small fish they can.

This has a strong impact on their costs, their solution was not to aim for a more quality-driven market, their solution was to raise the fees for small contracts to 20%.

The way I see it is that they are exactly where they want to be. Low rates, low quality market, with huge volumes, is their market.

-----------
Community Guru
Zoltán N Member Since: Jul 23, 2015
28 of 48

@Rene K wrote:
Right now Upwork seems to aim at the massive low-rate market. They accept everybody, they display no specific willingness to fight the low rate, low quality providers. Apparently they are trying to cast a wide net and try to catch as much of small fish they can.

Though... If you keep the basement door wide open for armies of rats, how can you rent out the modest apartments on the first, and the exclusive ones on the second floor?

Community Leader
Isabel S Member Since: Jul 23, 2016
29 of 48

I totally agree, but having said that, it's better than any of the other platforms for getting work. I think the commission is a bit high but I won't be leaving. 

Community Guru
30 of 48

@Isabel S wrote:

I totally agree, (...) 

To what? With who? If you don't quote the post you're answering, we'll never know :-)

-----------
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS